Author Topic: Dry salting cheese amount  (Read 4886 times)

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Dry salting cheese amount
« on: July 08, 2018, 08:46:46 AM »
I'm doing some experiments with ageing cheese made without rennet.  Essentially add a starter culture, wait X hours for the milk to start flocculating, add a very small amount of citric acid while stirring slowly with a whisk to make the curds, immediately transfer curds to a strainer and from there to a camembert hoop.  It works surprisingly well (at least for small cheeses of around 150-200 grams each -- haven't tried anything bigger yet).  It creates a pretty hard cheese -- it's very different from other cheeses, so it's hard to compare.  Anyway, I've been brining these cheeses, but it's not really appropriate for the open structure of the cheese.  I want to apply salt to the rind, but I'm at a total loss for the amount to use.  Recipes I've seen vary by huge amount -- from 1% - 3% of total weight.  Any ideas?  I'm looking for a saltiness level somewhere around a caerphilly (which is probably the cheese it most closely resembles when it is young).

Sorry if this the the wrong place to post -- couldn't really see anything better...

River Bottom Farm

Re: Dry salting cheese amount
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 03:55:47 PM »
If you are shooting for around 2% salt content dry salt with more like 3% as some is lost with dry salting (falls off or runs away)