Author Topic: Brine time for 24# Parm?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Brine time for 24# Parm?
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »
I just looked through a bunch of posts on here about brining parmesans, and I can't find a consensus on the brine time for a larger cheese.
The cheese in question is 24 pounds, about 6 inches thick (I can measure it later). 
Should I use the height (inches) x weight (#) formula?  A set length per pound (12 hours per pound (Caldwell))?
None of the recipes cover anything over 12 gallon recipes!
I'd much rather over- than under-salt this one.  It will be aged 2 years.
Thank you!!

andreark

Re: Brine time for 24# Parm?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
Peter Dixon has a good blurb on brining on pages 6 and 7 of his Winter 2000 journal.  When roasting meats,  the timing will have to do with both weight and shape of the meat.  When brining cheeses, the same principal applies. 

First he talks about salt preferences for Americans as opposed to Europeans.  He says that generally, Americans prefer brining of about  4 hours per pound. While Europeans prefer 12 hours per kilo.  He goes on to say "However, the shape of the cheese influences this rule and it's important to adapt it somewhat. For example, a 3 to 4" thick cheese can be brined for 4 hours per pound, but a 2" thick cheese will only need 3 1/2 hours per lb. to acquire the same salt content."

You can probably take these instructions and apply them to your REALLY BIG cheese.

andreark

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Brine time for 24# Parm?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 04:44:19 AM »
Thank you!!