Author Topic: Looking for Montasio Recipe  (Read 9884 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Looking for Montasio Recipe
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »
A cheese for you Jeff ;D
3 years of ageing, (can't believe it took you 3 years to get rid of the store bought cheese)
I have never tasted a Montasio, I will have to check one out ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »
We did use up a 1/4 wedge of the montasio before buying the parm.  Then, for some reason (probably the parm), we ended up not using it very often.  I made a concerted effort these past few months to get it over and done with.  Now that it was gone, I figured I could open this up and get back at it.  But yes, we bought that piece of parm about 1.5 years ago I think?  It was pretty flavourless.  I think, once we get down to one wheel of this, I'll make another but cut back on the lipase a bit. 

- Jeff

jwalker

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
Wow , a three year old cheese , that's got to be one of the oldest on this board.

Takes a lot of patience , I have a Gouda that's nearing one year , and it's killing me to let it just sit there !

It seems it was worth the wait eh ? , a cheese to you for your patience , sir.!

JeffHamm

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »
I've got a bunch of well aged cheeses, that got waxed and stored years ago.  I've got a Manchego that is over 3 years now (made Feb 5th, 2011) that's never been cut, about a 1/4 wheel of gouda that was made Dec 31, 2010, two more montasio's (one from Sept 18 and one Nov 6th, 2011, neither cut), and a wheel of romano (March 6th, 2011).  That year I made cheese most weekends, so I quickly built up this big supply.  After that, I got to making cheeses and eating them and replacing those as I went along.  Also, these are all lipase added cheeses, and I found that adding 1/4 tsp makes them too strong for sliced cheese, though very good grating cheeses.  Well, as you can see, grating cheeses last me a long time so I'm thinking these will do me for some time yet.  I now add much less lipase (1/16th of a tsp in the bitto I made a while back).  That could be increased, though for the bitto that seems to be fine.  I put some in a recent butterkase make too (lipase isn't to style for butterkase, but I like to play with that make more than any other for some reason - I don't think I've ever made two following the same exact same protocol). 

Anyway, thanks for the cheeses guys.  If you can hide some cheese on yourself, it is a real treat to rediscover it later.

DrChile

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 04:57:45 PM »
A cheese to you Jeff for patience.

Impressive.

Trent

Savu

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
This is a bit late in the day but someone might be interested has ph targets which might be useful, also Cheese making Technology ebook
 University of Guelph food science dept.
https://www.uoguelph.ca/foodscience/book-page/cheese-making-technology-ebook
https://www.uoguelph.ca/foodscience/book-page/montasio