Author Topic: "Larger" hoop suggestion needed  (Read 3173 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
"Larger" hoop suggestion needed
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:50:43 AM »
At present, I have been using a straight sided form and follower which I got from cheesemaking.com, and it has worked well for my various hard pressed cheeses made from 2 gallons of milk. It seems to tolerate well the 50 to 60 # of pressure I have used. I am thinking of trying larger makes, but I need to first obtain a larger form/follower. But when I read the description of the "tomme" forms, it appears they cannot tolerate more than 10 # of pressure. I hope someone will have a suggestion as to what kind of form to obtain.
Susan

linuxboy

Re: "Larger" hoop suggestion needed
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:37:24 AM »
10 PSI of pressure, not pounds. Tomme molds work for everything except hard milled curd types that need a lot of pressure to knit well.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »
Well you could buy the 8" mold I have.It works great for 6 gallons.  I really like mine.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/40-Hard-Cheese-Mold-Large-1.html
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
Iratherfly has a nice selection of molds at good prices. Shoot Yoav a message through the forum.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »
He really needs to get his web site up and running.

BobE102330

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
Cheesemaking.com's large tomme mold looks like what I got from Yoav.  I've uses 120 pounds of pressure on it without any issues.  Just be sure to use something to spread the pressure between the two rings on the follower, like a small cutting board.  If you don't you'll end up with a concave surface on the follower side.   :-[

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »
Just to throw this out there but I had a conversation with Luke at www.cheeseandyogurtmaking.com a little while back about the molds with curved followers.  He said he was going to get in touch with with a Dutch firm I had found about buying a pallet full of the rounded gouda molds in all sizes.  I don't have any update on that but if you like those as much as I do, and don't want to pay $250.00 each for them, you might want to hold off on mold buys until we see if we can get those reasonably.  Maybe yoav could check into getting some also.  http://besthollandproducts.com/index.html

Stephan

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »
We (thecheesemouldshop.com) have been in contact with Yoav and have provided him with lots of information.
Regretfully as of beginning of October he did not respond any longer to our requests for an update on where we were...

We are talking to Luke to see if we can work something out together.

In case any of you guys need more information about our moulds just let us know at : besthollandproductsbv@gmail.com.

Stephan

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 02:53:49 AM »
Hi Stephan,
I sent you an email just now.  I have had a lot going on as some members of this forum know. Hurricane Sandy had a serious effect on my business and I had some family things that kept me off business for a while. I just got a new warehouse (last week!) and I have been forming a distribution network to retailers. I started a culture/ingredient department and was consulting to dairies. My plate was so full that I stopped making new import orders (except for normal refills from companies in Europe and Canada where I already had relationships with).  I just started importing again and would very much like to process an order with you - immediately and regularly. Please reply to my email and we will set up an order this week if you are still interested. So sorry to leave you hanging and I really appreciate the great work you have done done me and time you spent on this! I can call you on the phone this week if you want.

Yoav

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
10 PSI of pressure, not pounds. Tomme molds work for everything except hard milled curd types that need a lot of pressure to knit well.
I guess I was just lucky then:

"I applied a 25lb weight with 4 pulleys for a calculated pressure of 575lbs and 13.7psi."

I will keep that in mind down the road. ???

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.