Author Topic: Mouldy basement taste  (Read 6167 times)

mjr522

Re: Mouldy basement taste
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:53 AM »
I'm not very fussy about smells and tastes, i happily eat very old Danbo-style cheeses that reeks of ammonia and almost liquefy (danish "Gammelost"), but the mouldy basement smell just puts me off in a very definitive way.

If your Danish gammelost is anything like the Norwegian gammelost, I am impressed that you can eat it.  I tried for months to develop a tolerance of that stuff, but finally gave up.  It is one of the few foods I've been exposed to that I have never been able to get over the gag reflex it causes.  Perhaps it would be different now (it's been 10 years since I last choked some down).

Anyway, if they are the same, and you can stomach it, this moldy smell must be something else.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:03:39 AM by Mike Richards »

sofusryge

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 07:30:16 AM »
Al Lewis:

No, i don't think we have got that product, but i could probably find something similar. I prefer the limewashed walls though, all sorts of nasty things can happen if you seal the moisture in the wall instead of letting it through. When i get the roof sorted out, I'll whitewash the whole thing a couple of times again, that ought to minimize the remaining contaminants and sort of "reset" the cave.

Mike: Nope, Danish "Gammelost" (it litterally means "Old Cheese") is just Danbo style cheese that is aged for a very long time. It is an acquired taste though  >:D

High Altitude

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 03:08:20 AM »
As a teenager I worked in Norway in a kitchen and was responsible for arranging breakfast items.  I will NEVER forget unwrapping from it's foil/paper wrapper a huge wheel (10"x12") of gammelost!  It was brown and hairy all over, and from what I could tell it wasn't much different inside.  I did not venture to taste it at the time, and likely will not regret that decision EVER.  It was something that only the old folks seemed to enjoy...hmmm.

Wow, I will say that it is definitely something every aspiring cheesemaker should see (and smell) in their lifetime  :o!