Author Topic: Washing cheese with pla  (Read 183 times)

Offline tnbquilt

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 13
Washing cheese with pla
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »
I bought some PLA to use on my Swiss cheese to grow that lovely rind with, but I did not put it in the milk. I forgot I had bought it. So now I want to spray it on the cheese, tomorrow. Does anyone know how to mix it up for spraying? Choozit says a little PLA and a little water and a little sugar. Do you have anything more specific than that?
Tammy

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline tnbquilt

• Mature Cheese
Re: Washing cheese with pla
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »
I have a little spray bottle that I bought from a cheese supplier somewhere, a little bitty thing. So I filled it with water, and a smidgen of PLA and a pinch of sugar. I then sprayed my cheese. I don't know how often I would have to do this, but I did it once anyway.
Tammy

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:28 PM »
Do you want to keep it for a while, or spray what you have and make up more. If spray quickly and make more, what you did fine. If you want to keep it, suspend in deionized water and store in fridge in between applications.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Offline tnbquilt

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
I sprayed it all on the cheese, over a few days of application. It wasn't a very large container. Next time I will remember to put it in the milk. So far, no mold growth at all. It's a week old
Tammy