Author Topic: Boofer's Beautiful (but humble) Birthday Beaufort #6  (Read 10870 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Boofer's Beautiful (but humble) Birthday Beaufort #6
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
This little cheese is 8 weeks old...2 months...in what I hope to extend to 12 months.

I enjoyed the results of Beaufort #5 at a mere 4 months, but really want to see what extended aging might add. I decided to help preserve the moisture content by cream coating the cheese yesterday. I layered on three coats throughout the day. Only this morning was it dry enough to consider it complete and to return it to the cave network.

I have a couple other cream-coated cheese wheels in affinage, Garlic Gouda and Horseradish Cheddar. They occasionally develop a whitish film which I have been wiping with vinegar when it appears.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bbracken677

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »
So when cream coating, at least this style of cheese, you don't scrub any outside growth off first?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 02:32:38 PM »
So when cream coating, at least this style of cheese, you don't scrub any outside growth off first?
I typically rub the cheese all over to knock off the high points, if there are any, and then wipe it with the vinegar and dry it off. Then the cream coating goes on. Remember, the natamycin in the cream coating will reduce the incidence of an out-of-control rind infection. That's back-up protection after the vinegar.

If I were to scrub off the rind, it would no longer be a natural rind. :P  Check the rind on my Beaufort #4 after the coating is peeled back. Still nicely rustic.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
It's hard to believe that a year has gone by since this little cheese got its start. There were a few missteps along the way. I had to remove the cream coating after it had been on for a while. Some errant molds reared their ugly heads and the coating had to come off so I could clean the rind a bit.

Vacuum-sealing was the next course of action to preserve the cheese properly. After a year, there was a hint of moisture/whey between the wheel and the plastic bag. Otherwise, the cheese rose to the occasion and turned in a tasty performance. There's the alpine flavor, a few gas holes, and customary flexible texture. Gee, when I phrase it that way, it sounds pretty clinical. ::) It is a tribute to the consistency of the Beaufort repeatability.

I am well pleased with this effort. I have sectioned the cheese into six wedges and sealed five for gift-giving and continued aging.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »
Happy Birthday to you two! And many more for at least one of you!  ;)

This is the type success I hope one day to achieve, what a beautiful sliceable Beaufort beauty. Truly. A well-deserved C4U!

GlennK

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
I like your pic titles.  Well done!  I've never had a beaufort, but it looks delicious.

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 01:14:41 AM »
Very nice!  A cheese to you for a wonderful looking Beaufort, and for the 1 year wait.  Hmmm, must make another one of these myself.

- Jeff

Spoons

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 01:37:45 AM »
Very nice cheese indeed. A cheese for the birthday boy and waiting a year to opening it up!

Geodyne

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 02:46:44 AM »
I too am impressed with your perseverance and patience. The cheese looks fabulous. It deserves a cheese.

DrChile

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 09:18:20 PM »
Wonderful!

Trent

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 02:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the cheeses and kind words, guys.

This cheese style has been very steady and satisfying. Good stuff. 8)

Somewhere down the road lurks the 2014 Edition (#10).

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!