my youtube video of a successful 30 minute mozzarella

Started by cheeseslovesu, January 07, 2013, 08:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheeseslovesu

Hello fellow cheeseies,

I understand the frustration of trying the Ricki Carroll recipe for 30 minute mozzarella and it failing. After several attempts I finally succeeded and then included it in my cheese making classes.

I decided to record the full grand production and uploaded it on Youtube so those I have taught can have the confidence in making it themselves at home after the class.

It is in two parts and it is a bit low in volume to start with but once I get into the swing of it I get louder, I had to talk over the cicadas and chickens! Luckily it turned out to be one of the best mozzarella's I have ever made!! I have decided I have a good head for radio...
30 minute mozzarella demonstration part 1.wmv30 minute mozzarella demonstration part 2

Mighty Mouse

My favorite part: Video 2 (0:54)- "We still have 45 seconds to go but what the hell, I'm gonna go for it!"

wibekah

I just wanted to say thanks for putting up the videos.  I thought they were very helpful.

Paterkie

Great video and very helpful.
What type of cooker is used that adjusts temp so quickly? Is it gas?

cheeseslovesu

Hi Johan,
In Australia we have portable gas cookers available to purchase at our major supermarkets and camping stores. They run off a small gas canister we purchase for approx. $5 for a set of 4 canisters and the gas cookers range in price from $14 - $17. They come in a black carry case. I use these in my cheese making classes as each student has their own work station.
The gas cooker has a dial that adjusts the flame strength. Debbie

John@PC

Can't wait to see your video, but I saw your steam table pan and had to comment.  I always used a round pot until I read Gianiclis's book and there on page 106 she talks about them.  I ordered a 2/3 size like yours for about $15 plus shipping and haven't looked back.  I now have a collection cause they're so handy.  I use the 2/3 for 2 gal batches and a full size for 4 gal.  A lot of advantages over round pot, not the least is it lends itself to using a fishing line harp.  Pics below show my heating set up and my home-made harp sized for the pan.  I've settled on using an electric griddle with a ceramic tile between the pan and griddle surface.  The tile acts like a pizza stone and gives the best heat distribution over the hundred or so I tried :P.  Did some experiments with water and know where to set the controller to get the right heating rate over the cooking interval.  Also is low mass, so I know that when I turn off the heat the temperature will rise only 2 deg. so I can account for that.

cheeseslovesu

That is a great set up John. Don't you love it when your equipment works!