Author Topic: Chilipepper.....Tried that Limburger yet?  (Read 9386 times)

Likesspace

Chilipepper.....Tried that Limburger yet?
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:57:14 AM »
Okay, the title says it all....
I'm dying to hear your opinion.
Ummm.....you did live through the taste test, didn't you?

Dave

chilipepper

Re: Chilipepper.....Tried that Limburger yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:16:05 AM »
You know after reading John's post on the Limburger and then reading the label on mine (same as everyone's here) I got a little nervous! :)  You know that label that says that if it is 4-6 months from the date code on the side it is mild and all that jazz.  Well as you keep reading down that list and get the the 2.5 months up to 'the' date on the package you are a die hard limburger fan... well mine is like 15 days away from the date!!!  Holy hell in a hand basket what does that mean! Is this going to be like the Arnold Schwartz-a-cheese and kick my ass 10 ways of Tuesday??

Captain Caprine

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:31:29 AM »
Just do it Chilipepper,
I had it on several occasions and it is actually quite good (it can repeat on you though).
Having said that I have also eaten snake gall bladders in plumb wine, fugu, and rocky mountain oysters to name a few.
CC

chilipepper

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 06:49:35 PM »
My life is forever changed - One man’s Limburger Story

Many events, encounters and experiences define a man’s life, some are milestones and achievements that we take in stride and they define our character.  Others are rites of passage allowing us to seek our dreams and challenge our mettle. 

Robert Frost talked about the road less traveled:

“… I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference”

Today was one of those rare occasions.  Before me sits a simple foil wrapper with bright red label proudly stating this is “Country Castle Limburger Cheese”.  Since 1885 this marvel has been continually produces at this simple cottage they call their “Castle”.  Much like the Reinheitgebot or German Purity Law from 1516, defines the simple tradition of blending water, barley and hops to create beer, so too does the Castle rely on sheer simplicity in their cheese.  Pasteurized whole milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes and calcium chloride combine to form what we know as Limburger.

merely days from 'the date' this is serious Limburger. It's go time!

Much like a first date, nervous anticipation overwhelmed me as I removed the simple foil wrapper revealing yet another shroud this cheese is hiding beneath.  Tendrils of pure Limburger essence begin to emerge as the layers are peeled away to reveal this illustrious cheese they call Limburger.

Described as “well known for its pungent aroma”, I truly believe the individual whom penned those words did not fully grasp the true terror & vile nature of the essence of this cheese.  Pungent is defined as having and intense flavor or odor and often used to describe cheese like Parmesan, Old Cheddar and Stilton.  Well my friends, this cheese is nowhere near my understanding of pungent.

What emerged from this simple package was shear cloying tendrils of a stench that ravaged my olfactory senses like millions of daggers attacking my very core.  I ponder how hungry one must become to find this cheese peacefully sitting at the back of a cheese cave somewhere and to choose IT by smell and sight alone over other alternative that may reside there.  Perhaps bats, mice, rats, various other rotten fruits or vegetables would spark an appetite with more vigor than this specimen.

I carry on and trudge forward, I cut the cheese!  Immediately I realize what I smelled prior to this was just a mere hint of what is lurking in the bowels of this cheese.  Objectively, the texture is smooth and creamy and with light effort could be considered spreadable. The rind is actually quite intriguing with its orange-brown highlights and chalky texture. 
My mind is now starting to speculate the degree of sanity one would lose by trudging forward.  I persist.

Shakily I top a simple wafer with a slab of this wonder.  I taste……

At this point I realize the gag reflex is strong and swift with this cheese.  Sheer mental determination drives my jaw forward as attempt to analyze mouth feel and texture in between the convulsions in the back of my throat.  This cheese is quite salty with a slightly nutty, earthy and organic quality about it.  Actually, the dominant taste was very close in reference to the flavor profile coined by Wayne (3 letter word for Donkey – starts with and ‘a’ and ends with two ‘s’).

This stunt is performed by a trained professional - do not try this at home.

It is at this point that I come to the devastating realization that I started this endeavor without the aid of a strong and powerful beverage within arm’s reach. Like a schoolgirl in a poorly made horror movie, I fumbled first for a glass then for some substance to fill it with that would properly sterilize the situation.

I did labor through two slices of this cheese and really have to say that the first taste is really the defining moment of this cheese.  Many weary cheese adventurers will never give this cheese a second bite.  I do have to say that the second bite and subsequent bites are more and more tolerable.  You can really start identifying the character of this cheese and maybe, just maybe, see a glimpse of the appeal that keeps this cheese in existence for us to ‘enjoy’.

I did finally procure a glass of barleywine to go along with this cheese.  Although this barleywine is a particularly excellent tasting drink I found that anything slightly more stomach-able than thirty day old urine harboring in the stomach of a dead whale would taste divine accompanied by Limburger.  This is true of my recommendations for food pairings as well.  If you really want to shine and impress as a chef, I recommend serving Limburger as your appetizer.  No matter what you prepare or how well you prepare it, your prowess as a chef will be hailed!

Thus concludes this rite of passage and I, forever as a man am changed.

Ryan  ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:38:37 PM by chilipepper »

wharris

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »
Holy Crap Ryan!

John, This gets my vote for best post of the year! (so far)

This post kept me both entertained and useless here at work for about 15 min.  (5 to read, 5 to laugh, and 5 to pen this thoroughly unworthy response)

nice job and a cheese.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »
Great Post Ryan!!!
The secret to eating Limburger is to have it with a side of durian fruit.  That way it will smell like roses from heaven ;)
CC

Likesspace

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:00:06 PM »
Ryan,
I shouln't really be typing this since I am at work buy this is without a doubt the best post I've ever read on ANY forum.
It's not often that I really "laugh out loud" but the photo of you guzzling the bleach did it for me.
Fantastic post. Deserves to be a sticky simply for the sheer humor.
Too funny!
Dave
P.S. I told you so. :-)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:14:47 PM »
I agree, I gave you a cheese.

P.S. I gave Captain a Cheese too as he didn't have any, it was kind of pathetic...LOL

chilipepper

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:23:19 AM »
Oh thanks guys that was kind of fun to put together.  I was up way too late last night but everyone was asleep and I know nobody would complain about the stench from the cheese.  So I thought I would have a little fun with it and especially since Dave was egging me on for my review.  I thought I would make it worth his wait! :)

It really got me pondering about the B.Linens and the related smell of this cheese.  Do you suppose that just maybe the original producer of this cheese was not the most cleanly of sorts and somehow infected his cheese.  Someone actually then ate it and said "damn that stinks pretty good! You should sell that stuff." 

That really REALLY begs to reopen the whole sanitization discussion!!

Captain Caprine

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:28:15 AM »
Thanks for the sympathy cheese ;D
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:45:06 AM »
Wow, that had me laughing for 5 minutes so hard my wife came over and did the same thing!

Agreed Best Post Ever Award!

But interestingly:
I do have to say that the second bite and subsequent bites are more and more tolerable.  You can really start identifying the character of this cheese and maybe, just maybe, see a glimpse of the appeal that keeps this cheese in existence for us to ‘enjoy’.

So you like it huh! And you want more huh! And you want to try making some huh!

Likesspace

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 12:58:45 AM »
Ryan...
It was worth the wait.....it was REALLYworth the wait.

My 17 year old daughter has just proclaimed this line the greatest ever written:
"anything slightly more stomach-able than thirty day old urine harboring in the stomach of a dead whale would taste divine accompanied by Limburger."

I've read the post at least 5 times and it still kills me.
Fantastic job....worth yet another cheese (even though you've gotten plenty as it is). :-)

Dave

wharris

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 01:28:24 AM »
And he passes Tea!.  is 8 cheeses a record?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 01:36:33 AM »
I gave him another one just so Wayne has something to talk about.

Likesspace

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 01:52:11 AM »
Pssst....
Carter and Wayne..
Let's each take a cheese away from him now just to make him crash.
Besides, he did get that really cool Ph meter thingy, so I have that whole jealousy issue going on.

:'(

Dave