Author Topic: John's Cheese #035 - Limburger #1  (Read 14853 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: John's Cheese #035 - Limburger #1
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 05:16:05 AM »
Kind of scarying me now Dave. :o

Likesspace

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 10:05:20 PM »
LOL....
But don't you see what I'm saying?
Those cheeses look nice and cute right now.
Who would ever guess that they are going to turn into the equivalent of an environmental nightmare?
When I think of someone driving by John's house over the next few months, I hear Louden WainWright III's song "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road", in my head:
Take a whiff on me that ain't no rose....
Roll up you windows and hold your nose...
You don't have to look and you don't have to see cause you can feel it in your olfactory.

Dave

Likesspace

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »
Hmmm..
Now I've scared myself since I know that song AND the "artist" that sang it.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »
Dave find your happy place.

Likesspace

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 03:58:42 AM »
LOL, Carter....got a little carried away there.

Cheese Head

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 01:06:46 AM »
Well the dream has started and so has an environmental nightmare.

The dream comes true: At 4 days age the cheeses are a little slimey/slippery, OK I actually don;t know if they are supposed to be that way.

The environmental nightmare: A little blue mold has appeared on two of the Limburgers! See picture above. Somehow, and there are 100 ways to get contamination, making Stilton, Camembert and Limburger all at the same time has caught up to me and is not such a good idea!

Will soldier on.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 01:21:02 AM »
It's hard John. Since I noticed some blue mold on the underside of a bamboo mat a week ago in the parm cave I now have a professional spray bottle, for window washing because I bought a whole pack of the cheap ones and went through the entire pack the first day they are such pieces of junk, anyway I now just spray star san the night before on everything in the kitchen and everything that can fit in the dishwasher goes in for 2 cycles, one with a little soap and then another cycle just for rinse.

Cheese Head

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 12:04:35 AM »
Well sugar! My 4 Limburgers have all got the blues >:(.

Posted another picture above. As you can see the blue is now appearing to be the dominant mold over the B linens "red" mold as they are also less slippery.

I think there is no way to stop the blue on my 4 small Limburgers, forward options I can think of are:
  • Wrap the "Limburgers" in 4 of my new 100 rind wash wraps. I don't think this is healthy for a blue at this young stage.
  • Keep maturing and when blue takes over, pierce tops and bottoms like other blues. Then wrap lightly. It will be tough to keep theses small cheeses from drying out.

Appreciate any thoughts and way forward advice . . . John, with the blues.

Likesspace

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 01:35:58 AM »
John,
Have you tried a white vinegar rub?
Blue mold loves salt, so that won't work. Vinegar might if you are diligent enough.
Of course you will also remove the b.linens but you can always re-spray them if you get the blue under control.
Just thinking out loud here since this is a cheese I've never considered making.
Good luck.
Regardless, you will end up with SOME kind of cheese. You might even come up with a blue that's stinky enough for even the strongest tastes.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 02:08:37 AM »
Dave could be right you may have invented another cheese.

Cheese Head

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »
Last night I wrapped my 4 little monstrosities in Aluminum Foil, pictures above, how I wrapped pictures posted here, and placed them in household fridge to "ripen".

As you can see in the before wrapping picture above, there is an all out war on my cheeses between the P candidum blue mold and the B linens bacteria, on some cheeses the blue appears to be winning on others the B linens.

I'll unwrap one of these devils in a couple weeks to see what horror lies within.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 07:41:10 AM »
I'd wear safety goggles J/K. Don't give up you may have invented a very unique cheese.

Cheese Head

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 12:25:33 AM »
Well didn't want to look but at eVenom's push I opened one tonight, pictures close to start of this thread.

Opened at age 52 days. Very soft and moist, somewhat leaking, not visually appealing :o. Cheese texture varied between moist and soft, flavour was lightly blue from outside but inside more like some of my too moist Camemberts.

Think too warm in early aging and cheese did not like humidity barrier of almunium foil, as could not breath. Chucked 3/4 of cheese . . . 3 more to go!

eVenom

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 03:57:23 AM »
Wow!!! Thouse are some nasty pictures even worst than Carter's Cheddar!!

I really like Limburger and I like Blues But I don't know about this "Limburblue"

It is Scary!!

Well keep us posted on the Other 3 that are left

When will be the Next Unavailing???

Cheese Head

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 08:06:11 AM »
The other three are as soft as this one has become so I think extra age is just going to make them worse . . . wish I had wrapped a couple in white Camembert wraps to see if different.