Author Topic: Chilipepper.....Tried that Limburger yet?  (Read 9384 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Chilipepper.....Tried that Limburger yet?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 02:27:57 AM »
LOL. Dave it's a nice toy but you still have to take samples out when you get to the level where you realize you need to measure titrateable acid and not just PH. Don't get me wrong I would love to have it.

P.S. Chili that mold and mat you want it came out to $400. I wonder what I'm going to buy?

Dave you should pick up a Tirtrateable acid kit next time you're near a home brew store or order one on the internet they cost about $12 and allow you to measure minute amounts of acid in the beginning when the PH meter won't read it. Since you ask yes I belive it's necessary.

Likesspace

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 02:55:45 AM »
Famous last words......"Only $12.00".
Okay, that's next on my list.
I've been discussing with Wayne the measurement of percentages of acidity and he also recommended the kit (well actually he told me not to sweat it, but I can see where it would be a really useful tool).
Just clear out that spare bedroom you have because my wife is going to boot me out if I keep going.

Dave

stuartjc

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 01:50:43 PM »
I notice that barleywine came to the rescue - see, I *told* you!

;D

chilipepper

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 12:26:09 AM »
John, cool award! I feel so honored! :)

I'm a little on the fence with this cheese.  I would be really interested to see what it would be like if younger and not quite so near the end of it's usable life.  I admire your ambition in making one and I really look forward to what your opinion is in in the different stages of development. 

Stuart, the barleywine was really done for your benefit.  ;D Battery acid would probably have tasted about the same though. It is such an overbearing taste that it is pretty hard to respectfully pair it with much of anything. :D

Likesspace

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 01:55:44 AM »
Ryan,
From what I've read, the recommended food/drink pairings are dark beer and onion.
I think that, as much as anything else speaks of just how strong of a flavor this cheese has.
Btw....I showed you post to one of my co-workers today and he was literally in stitches.
I also sent the link to my dad and my cousin and dad called today to tell me how much he enjoyed it (I had him try a piece at the same time I tried it....yeah, we had the same opinion of the "flavor".)
You are well deserving of the award and the extra cheeses. I've read this post too many times to count and I still get a kick out of it.

Dave