Author Topic: Can one make mysost with pure unflavored whey powder?  (Read 5357 times)

mm.mansour

Can one make mysost with pure unflavored whey powder?
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:42:51 PM »
Hey all,
So I just had this idea of making mysost cheese with whey powder. I have some unflavored whey protein powder. It has nothing in it except for whey powder and soy lecithin. Per 30 grams it has 27 grams of whey and 1 gram of carbs and 0 gram of fat.

What do you think would happen if I reduce it for hours? Should I add lactose or sugar to it at some point? Should I add some cream to get some fat?

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Can one make mysost with pure unflavored whey powder?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:47:07 PM »
I think this is unlikely to work without a fair amount of effort.  Here is the composition of dried "sweet whey": https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/104  "Sweet whey" refers to whey that is the result of making cheese.  As you can see there is a *lot* of sugar -- in fact 75% sugar.  It only has 12% protein. Also it has quite a lot of calcium, potassium, and sodium.  Your powder is something like 90% protein.  Not really comparable at all.  I'm also not sure what chemical reactions take place when making mysost, but I guess they depend heavily on the salts dissolved in the whey.  However, if you get it to work, it would be interesting.  The above is not intended to put you off trying, just to set your expectations for success :-)