Author Topic: First Iberico Make today  (Read 1379 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
First Iberico Make today
« on: June 13, 2021, 08:26:42 PM »
Inspired by rsterne's love for and success with Manchego, I thought I would give soemthing similar a try.  Using NE Cheesemaking's recipe for Hispanico but substituting one gallon of the whole milk with one gallon of raw goat milk.

1 gallon Dove song raw goat milk
1 gallon Natural by Nature whole milk
a bit under 1/8tsp of Ma4002.  A bit less because I am using some raw milk.
1/2 tsp of CaCl2 in 1/4 cup distilled H2O
1/2 tsp single strength rennet in 1/4 cup distilled H20

Using a water bath with water starting at 113F, I placed my pot of milk.  The milk started at about 65deg F.  After 7 minutes the temp had plateaued to about 80, so I started heating the bath.  Gradually temp rose to 87F.  At this point I sprinkled the culture on the milk and let it hydrate for 4 minutes.  After a good stir I let the milk ripen for 30minutes.

Then I added the CaCl2 in water and stirred well. I let this sit 5minutes.  Then I added the rennet.
I tested for floc

5min. Spins freely
8min spins but not as freely
9min the curd is set.  A little bit early but using a 3.5 multiplier which I assume is correct, that gave a cutting time of 31.5 minutes which is in line with the recipe which says cut 30-40minutes.  So, so far so good I think...

After 32 minutes I cut into 1 inch blocks and let this set 5 minutes. 

Using a wire whisk I slowly move it up and down moving from point to point in order to cut the curds smaller.  This took about 5minutes.
I then stared the curds gently for 20minutes.  After 20minutes the temperature was about 84F.  I started to heat the curds very slowly
over the next 30minutes, stirring as I did so.

The whey was (IMO) not too clear and not too milky.  The curds were very small, like rice grains.  I did the ole
 grip test and decide everything was done when I could squeeze together and still separate the curds with my thumb. 

The smell of goat was pronounced.  :-)  Curds were not as sweet as I typically taste at this point.

At this point I ladled off whey until the top of the curd showed.  Then I gathered the curds to the side of the pot and using cheesecloth brought them together,  Then I put some weight ~8-10lbs  on this mass of curds still under the remaining whey for 20minutes.

After that, Itook them out. They were a nicely consolidated.  I broke it into large pieces to fit into the lined Small Hard Cheese Mold.

I put it in my make shift cheese press under 10lbs for 30minutes. I took the cheese out and rewrapped.
Then 20lbs for 1 hour, taking the cheese out and rewrapping after 30minutes
Then 30lbs.  That is where I am not.  Small drops of whey appear at the side of the mold.  But the dripping is very slow.
After 5 hours with me turning and rewrapping every so often, this will sit over night in the mold.  So far the room temperature is about 74 degrees F which is right in line with the recipe.

I think my temperatures were pretty good and so far I think everything went according to the recipe.  Here are some pics of my curds and my make shift cheese press with 30lbs of weight.  It's actually not as off center as it looks in the pic.

That is I dont think I messed anything up.

The recipe does call for a very long brine time of 8-10 hours.  That is over twice what I usually Brine.  Any thoughts on that?

I may try treating the rind with EVOO and smoked paprika..  That should be good.
Then it will be a long 3months waiting.  But so far I am optimistic.
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: First Iberico Make today
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:02:44 PM »
Looks like you are well on your way!.... I've never had the opportunity to use anything but store bought cow's milk....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:15:12 PM »
We shall see!  I bought some pH tape. I cant wait to start using that.  Of course, I need to know what  pH markers are for the recipes. I also bought that cheese book you cite so often.. 200 easy homemade cheeses..  or something like that.  Can't wait till they arrive for next weeks batch!  ;-)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:23:10 PM »
I have several books, and when I want to make a new cheese I add all the recipes I can find for it (books and online) to a spreadsheet (sometimes there are 6-8 recipes) that "averages" all the quantities, temperatures and times.... I then check the details, because quite often there are two "groups" of totally different recipes.... eg. some are Meso and some are Thermo (eg. Jarlsberg).... or some are washed and some aren't (eg. Monterey Jack).... I then decide which one I want to use as a basis, and figure out my own recipe from that.... I make good notes, of course, and then add yet another line to the spreadsheet with changes for the next time.... After a couple of tries, then I write out my own recipe in detail....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 05:49:23 PM »
 I had intended to wait 3 months but being short on patience I decided to open it today.  This cheese I kept a natural but oil rubbed rind.  Now, I don't know what Hispanico is supposed to be like (or Manchego for that matter) but here is what my cheese is like
I made this with 1/2 Goat and 1/2 cow's milk.  No lipase.

1) It's a hard cheese.  Knife met quite a bit of resistance but it went through smoothly.
2)The paste is solid except for some very small holes here and there.  One part kind of "broke" instead of sliced.
3)The cheese is moist.. that is not dry or crumbly.
4) It is a lot harder than a store bought cheddar
5)The taste is almost like a cheddar in that it has a slight sharpness to it. 

Below is a pic.

BTW when I made this cheese I feared the curds were way too small and dry. They may have been...  but it knit together well and the resulting cheese seems pretty nice.  I recall when I made it that this was the first cheese that actually went as planned.  :-)

Oh..  I plan on waxing the cut surface of one part and continue aging itlo