Author Topic: Caerphilly #7 Adorned  (Read 10286 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Caerphilly #7 Adorned
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »
Thank you again, Vina!   ;D. I promise to post the quinoa muffin recipe when I get it.  I just made another Caerphilly last night.  it's still in the press as I write.  I'm wondering what to do with it.  Will I do another leaf adornment or perhaps a smoked paprika and olive oil coating?  Or leave it plain to make the care easy?  Or maybe I could do a natural rind on it.  Hmmmmm.  I also have some fig flavored balsamic vinegar.  I wonder what that might do for flavor!    :).  Thank you for the cheese!  Check back here for a link to the Quinoa muffin recipe. 

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »
Tiarella, I'm not an expert with different funcy rinds, I do love them but still learning how-to's. smoked paprika sounds interesting, and balsamic vinegar as well. Do you mean rubbing with fig balsamico? Or prepare some special brine using it?

BobE102330

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
I did a montasio with regular balsamic vinegar soaked rind that was great.  I can only imagine the fig flavored balsamic sounds good.  Send me a piece when its ready.    ;)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
Tiarella, I'm not an expert with different funcy rinds, I do love them but still learning how-to's. smoked paprika sounds interesting, and balsamic vinegar as well. Do you mean rubbing with fig balsamico? Or prepare some special brine using it?

Vina,  I haven't done any vinegar rinds so I'm going to ask Bob what he did.  The Smoked Paprika was easy.  I mixed smoked paprika with just enough olive oil to make it into a paste and then smeared it on the cheese.  (I had dried the cheese for a while first.....can't remember if it was a couple of weeks or what.)  I let it dry some and put it in my wine fridge)  It did get some molds and I patted them down.  I had hoped the paprika would prove to keep molds away but it didn't.  Once I rubbed it with coarse salt and then I wished I hadn't done this because it attracted moisture to the cheese and then I had a wet cheese!  Took ages for it to dry back out.  I will post a couple of photos of it here since I'm not sure where or if there are photos of it elsewhere.  Okay....found the photos.  First is as soon as I put the coating on it.  Next photo is how nice it was looking but I had rubbed it with salt....you can see the salt all around the tray in the photo.  Third photo is the impact of the salt making it too moist and causing some more mold but I was able to rub it and keep it under control.  Last photo shows it cut and how the rind looked then.  It all worked out fine!   :D  You can see I had it in a container to control the moisture.  I wiped the inside of the container almost every day.  Try this type of rind treatment and don't worry about the phases it goes through.  It will be okay....maybe even the moisture from the salt was a good thing.  I will maybe do an experiment and do two, one with a salt application partway through and one without.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
Once I rubbed it with coarse salt and then I wished I hadn't done this because it attracted moisture to the cheese and then I had a wet cheese!  Took ages for it to dry back out.
Doesn't attract moisture...draws it out of the cheese. Waaay back, the Native Americans would salt their freshly-caught fish to dry them out quickly. See, I was paying attention in history class! ;)

I too have done this mistake, transforming an otherwise decent rind into a moist problem. Live & learn. ::)

So how did this artful cheese taste?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 05:19:30 PM »
So how did this artful cheese taste?
-Boofer-
Yes inquiring mind's HAVE to know :o
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 08:11:51 PM »
OH, general consensus was that it was awesome!  It really was amazing.  Gave wedges to a vet friend, Cheesemaking friend, the butcher who did our farm slaughtering, etc, etc.  My Cheesemaking friend saved a small piece of rind, having trouble parting with it, and finally used it in some dish....can't remember what but she said it was great. 

Boofer,  I don't think the salt only draws moisture from the cheese because in our humid season I can put plain salt on a plate and it draws moisture from the air.  That's the season this happened in.  The texture of the cheese was perfect, not dried out.  But I am very relieved to know you stayed awake in history class!   ;D. I'll rest a lot easier now.   >:D.  Seriously, weren't those the best parts of history class?  Old time food preservation of older cultures?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
I did a montasio with regular balsamic vinegar soaked rind that was great.  I can only imagine the fig flavored balsamic sounds good.  Send me a piece when its ready.    ;)
Bob,

Can you tell us how you did that?  I have no idea how I'd use the fig balsamic vinegar but I'd like to try it.  What exactly and when did you use it?  Thanks in advance!   :D

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 07:43:20 AM »
Tiarella, your smoked paprika cheese also loks great! How long did you age it with paprika covering?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »
I put the smoked paprika coating on 10/8 and opened the cheese 11/18 so not very long.  I thought it had been longer but when I check the dates on my photos, this is the amount of time.  The cheese was likely Caerphilly although it may possibly have been a tomme that I didn't label.  I had too many cheeses then.  I'm pretty sure from the taste that it was Caerphilly......but if so I have no idea where the September Tomme went to.   ;D  I think you should try this cheese style and post photos if you have questions but also because of course we all want to see what cheese is being made.   :D

BobE102330

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »
Sorry I missed this for so long.  I put the cheese in a zip top bag, dumped in enough balsmic to allow the entire surface to be covered when I squeezed the air out.  Let it sit in the balsamic overnight then air dried before returning to the container.  A week or so later I repeated, having saved the vinegar in the fridge.  Don't remember why I chose a couple shortish dips, but it was before I read Yoav's comments on wine treating rinds with multiple thin coats.  ;)

Ironically, I went with balsamic rather than wine thinking I'd save money.   I accidentally grabbed the good bottle of balsamic vinegar instead of the regular service bottle and ended up spending more on that than a nice Barbera would have cost.  There's a Barbera rind montasio in my future. 

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »
Ironically, I went with balsamic rather than wine thinking I'd save money.   I accidentally grabbed the good bottle of balsamic vinegar instead of the regular service bottle and ended up spending more on that than a nice Barbera would have cost.  There's a Barbera rind montasio in my future.

;-)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 06:36:53 PM »
I am way late to this party but that cheese is effin gorgeous.  I will have to try such a thing.  AC4U
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard