Author Topic: Chaource - Surface Slippery & Wrinkled?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Chaource - Surface Slippery & Wrinkled?
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:14:26 AM »
Hi All,  I have a batch of Chaource and while the 6 in the 2 smaller boxes rippled into rind growth a little fast I think and even had some ammoniation (is that even a word?) the 4 ib the bigger box had a slower rind growth which I thought was cool and probably the way it was supposed to be except I notice that there is a slipperiness (I'd use the words slight sliminess except that I'm thinking it's okay and there's a negativity that goes with slime)  on them.  I was thinking this is a yeast and part of the development of these but there is not a lot of rippling happening on those ones. They smell fine although I'm not sure what these are supposed to smell like.  There is Geo showing for sure. 

I don't know what's normal and my cheeses tend to have too quick of a rind development.  I do think that the dry winter air is making the rind form before it's drained enough and will make accommodations next make. 

Note:  the make used Flora Danica, PC SAM and Geo 13.  skipped PLA this time.

Any ideas on this from those who might know?

P.S.  I do get a lot of exercise but I'm not as "ripped" as my Chaource.   :'(

bbracken677

Re: Chaource - Surface Slippery & Wrinkled?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »
Had a similar development with a taleggio make and Iratherfly told me that it was Geo having a party.   :)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 06:10:16 PM »
Did he tell you what to do about it?  And what the impact might be?  Need help here!   :-\

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:43:51 AM »
I had salted it...and he indicated that this was the wrong thing to do....and sure enough I killed it all off and the rind dried out too much to support growth for a week or so...I went to a 3% wash daily along with b.linens to get some growth going again...but only the linens took hold, the geo never came back.

Perhaps a 3% brine wash would reduce it...or...try a little drying?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:37:04 AM »
I had salted it...and he indicated that this was the wrong thing to do....and sure enough I killed it all off and the rind dried out too much to support growth for a week or so...I went to a 3% wash daily along with b.linens to get some growth going again...but only the linens took hold, the geo never came back.

Perhaps a 3% brine wash would reduce it...or...try a little drying?

Hey, thanks for the response.  Hmmmm. I actually have a Tellagio doing this also but it may have other issues too.  I am working on drying it out a bit. 

All the Chaource get their outings everyday now.  They get taken out of their boxes and left in open air in the cold room for a while.  In fact, there's a cheese party that happens there everyday when a whole bunch of cheeses get their outings.  Let's see; 4 Shitake Brie, 10 Chaource, 12 Valencay all have a little out-of-box party everyday.  They're quiet luckily but I do think they have fun!   ;)   Maybe the Tellagio need to join them.  I'm having more trouble with ammoniation with a number of makes and I think it's because with the dry air the rind dries too quickly and not enough draining happens.  I have plans to address this in future make and I do think I'm having some success with lessening the ammonia smell on the shitake Brie which is good......don't like the thought of losing 4 big ones of those. 

I think drying is the the likely answer for my situation.  I'm not sure Chaource would support a wash and they're not meant to have B linens.  The Tellagio might be a different story though.  I should do washes on that I'd guess.

Thanks again!   :D

mjr522

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:28:17 AM »
My first cams ranged from mostly PC coating to brainy (or ripped like you said...) like yours.  Yoav told me, like bbracken, that the geo had overgrown and that I probably had insufficient salt, too high moisture/humidity, or a bad ratio of geo to pc.  He said there wasn't much to do to salvage mine at the time and suggested I just control those factors better with the next make.  Hopefully something good will work out with yours.