Author Topic: Camembert not spoiling?  (Read 1530 times)

pudd

Camembert not spoiling?
« on: January 11, 2013, 12:56:15 AM »
Hi All

First post, but not my first cheese.

Last October around the 24th, I made my first Camembert, pretty much following the recipe from this book (http://shop.cheeselinks.com.au/Cheesemaking-Book-c7/).

I aged it in my wine fridge (13-15 degrees Celsius, 85-99% humidity) for 8 days and by then the mould was covering the whole cheese.  I then put in in the fridge (unwrapped, but in a container with a tray within in so it wasn't sitting on the bottom occasionally cracking the lid to let excess moisture out).

Fast forward to November 24th, the cheese is no softer when touched but the mould hasn't started to ammoniate so I leave it... for another month...  Still no difference.  I decide to eat it anyway, it tasted fine (the rind a little potent but nothing unbearable), but the inside was not gooey etc.  Is this normal for a Camembert to last so long with out ammoniating?

I have attached a picture of the results.

Cheers!

linuxboy

Re: Camembert not spoiling?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:19:32 AM »
What milk and culture did you use? Yes, for some combos, this is normal.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:46:14 AM »
I've had the same problem with my camembert and cambozola.  Ordered new cultures to try and correct it but I think adding extra cream may have been my problem as someone told me that it stabilizes it.  Anyway, the next one won't have extra cream and I'll be using SAM6 culture as opposed to the Neige I had.  Hope it solves it for me.  Good luck with yours.  It's expensive being a noob and trying to learn all of this. LOL  Just got Tim Smith's book so I'm going to try his recipes as I have it on good authority (Sailor) that they are spot on.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:48:56 AM »
Did you let it warm up before tasting?
What recipe did you use? (it looks a bit like a stabilized cam I bought last week, flavor and aroma is there but its just rubbery, not remotely gooey)