Author Topic: Camembert - Uneven Mold Bloom  (Read 1539 times)

hamishh

Camembert - Uneven Mold Bloom
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »
Hi

I made my first batch of Camembert just over a week and a half ago.  One of the rounds is developing a lovely while mold but the other in the maturing box has not.  both are from the same batch and stored under the exact same conditions.

I did have them in a fridge at about 10 degrees C but have moved them into a pantry where it is warmer in the hope that mold will develop.

Just wondering if there is anything that i can do that may help or is this round a lost cause?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Camembert - Uneven Mold Bloom
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »
Hi!  Can you give more information?  Such as, did you add PC to the milk at the beginning or spray it on after?

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »
One trick is to pat down the mould on the one that is growing and then pat the second one that isn't to transfer some spores to it.
It will take a few days but should start growing.
Also, you don't want the mould growing too fast so you might want to put the good one back in the cooler spot.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

hamishh

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:17:01 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the feedback. The PC was added to the milk at the start.  I have put the two rounds side by side in the hope that some will transfer but will try the pat down option and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Hamish