Author Topic: Millionaire's Bacon  (Read 6816 times)

bbracken677

Millionaire's Bacon
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:22:49 PM »
Saw this on tv...I think it was the United States of Bacon...this one isn't quite the same, but turns out quite, quite excellent!

•   1 pound(s) 1/4 inch thick slicedbacon
•   1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (chipotle chili powder is better)
•   1 tablespoon black pepper
•   1 cup brown sugar
•   1 teaspoon chili flakes

1.   Preheat oven to 350
2.   Place bacon on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
3.   Mix sugar and the peppers
4.   Cover bacon with the mix
5.   Bake in oven for 30- 40 minutes

Feel free to double the sugar/spice portion! I did    :)

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Millionaire's Bacon
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »
Ah yes, a triple by-pass on a plate.   >:D
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:47:24 PM »
It's so sad that the things you love are bad for you. Of course the official things that are bad for you change over the years so maybe there is hope.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
Most of our grand parents lived to a ripe old age eating all of the things that we think will kill us.  Maybe we should quit worrying so much and enjoy! :P
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
There is a lot of misrepresentation of facts out there.....for instance: real butter isn't nearly as bad for you as the fake butter-makers would have you believe. Lots of the good cholesterol to balance the bad...give me a choice of real food vs fake and I will take the real food any day. IMO too many chemicals in our foods...

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:54:08 PM »
moderation and diversification, in other words, yuh dont eat uh pound-o-bacon every mornin, three or four ham sandwitches fer lunch and half uh beef fer dinner :o oh ya don't ferget to douse it all with a heavy sprinklin of salt n worsh it down with 12 sodas a day along with a 12 er 18 pack-o-beer, make shur yall go out tuh mikey-d's fer that bigy sized tripple heart attack in uh bag Go uhead, do that for a few years en see how fast yer oversized behind gets off the couch if you aint already had a massive heart attack or blockage and hardening of the artery's ;)
Now don't get me wrong I enjoy my comfort foods as much as the next guy and I have been known to get a little carried away with my imbibing at time's.
I'll also have a micky-d's ever now and again, so, far be it fer me to set an example for anyone but I do know when and how often I should be overindulging and then there is my better half who will slap my hand at appropriate times, I am sure I would be in worse shape than I am right now if it wasn't for her home town country style comeuppance and her ability to make and can most things we eat.

I guess all I really had to say is, Kids now days don't know how to eat right :P (go to the freezer-n-git the box) I'M COOKING!! ::)

OH Ya, after all that, I am gonna try this looks excellent!!! MMMmmmMMmmmm!!!!
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 12:49:45 AM »
moderation and diversification, in other words, yuh dont eat uh pound-o-bacon every mornin, three or four ham sandwitches fer lunch and half uh beef fer dinner :o oh ya don't ferget to douse it all with a heavy sprinklin of salt n worsh it down with 12 sodas a day along with a 12 er 18 pack-o-beer, make shur yall go out tuh mikey-d's fer that bigy sized tripple heart attack in uh bag Go uhead, do that for a few years en see how fast yer oversized behind gets off the couch if you aint already had a massive heart attack or blockage and hardening of the artery's ;)
Now don't get me wrong I enjoy my comfort foods as much as the next guy and I have been known to get a little carried away with my imbibing at time's.
I'll also have a micky-d's ever now and again, so, far be it fer me to set an example for anyone but I do know when and how often I should be overindulging and then there is my better half who will slap my hand at appropriate times, I am sure I would be in worse shape than I am right now if it wasn't for her home town country style comeuppance and her ability to make and can most things we eat.

I guess all I really had to say is, Kids now days don't know how to eat right :P (go to the freezer-n-git the box) I'M COOKING!! ::)

OH Ya, after all that, I am gonna try this looks excellent!!! MMMmmmMMmmmm!!!!

Well I'm sticking with this bacon!  My Own!!!  LOL  Will have to try that recipe though!  Looks great!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 01:11:50 AM »
That's a nice job of smoking there Al.
How long was it in for?
-Bill

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:16:31 AM »
Had it in the cure for a week and about 4+ hours of smoke.  Side bacon so it was awesome.  Pricey though.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 03:44:18 AM »
Had it in the cure for a week and about 4+ hours of smoke.  Side bacon so it was awesome.  Pricey though.

Only four hours, wow! I do my trout for three....

-Bill

tnbquilt

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »
I agree with bbracken, I will choose real food over the fake stuff, and avoid the additives whenever possible. Mold doesn't grow on margarine, and that should be a clue for humans.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 08:27:06 AM »
I agree with bbracken, I will choose real food over the fake stuff, and avoid the additives whenever possible. Mold doesn't grow on margarine, and that should be a clue for humans.

"Mold doesn't grow on margarine" 

It does!

-Bill

flac

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 07:27:26 PM »
There is a lot of misrepresentation of facts out there.....for instance: real butter isn't nearly as bad for you as the fake butter-makers would have you believe. Lots of the good cholesterol to balance the bad...give me a choice of real food vs fake and I will take the real food any day. IMO too many chemicals in our foods...

Agreed!!

Well I'm sticking with this bacon!  My Own!!!  LOL  Will have to try that recipe though!  Looks great!

Looks great!