Author Topic: mixed up  (Read 4303 times)

Scott Wallen

mixed up
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »
Hello from southern Indiana, first of all I am really new to the art of cheese making and I hope I have not goofed up my cheese, here's what I have done. I started making a Gouda from a kit I got from Ricki Carroll, while leafing back and forth in the recipe booklet i got mixed up and salted the curd, and started pressing as if it were Monterey Jack at 4 lbs for 12 hrs, this morning I realized my mistake and turned the cheese over an increased the weight in my press to 20 lbs. can anyone tell me what will become of my cheese now?

mjr522

Re: mixed up
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
If all went well with the rest of the make, it should still turn out to be fine cheese--you could think of it as a goudarey jack.  Did the curds knit together well? Also, was the amount of salt you used for the same size cheese (was the gouda and the MJ recipe for the same number of gallons)?

We all make mistakes--especially those of us that are new.  Don't worry too much about it.

Scott Wallen

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:55:27 PM »
Thank you,  Goudarey Jack I like that  :). the entire make went well until i got mixed up, the salt was 1 tablespoon, both the recipes called for 2 gallons, however the Gouda did not call for salt at all. The knit looks very good so far.

mjr522

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
You would have brined the gouda to get salt in it.  1 tablespoon should be good.  If you can, post a picture--we all like to see pictures of other people's cheese.

Scott Wallen

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »
as soon at it comes out of the press, I will Post a photo, should I skip the brine step now?

mjr522

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »
I personally wouldn't brine it now.  The purpose of brining is to get the salt into the cheese.  You've already done that.  If you want a salty cheese, you could still do it for a bit, but I certainly wouldn't do it for the whole time suggested.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
You would have brined the gouda to get salt in it.  1 tablespoon should be good.  If you can, post a picture--we all like to see pictures of other people's cheese.

Why is that???  Strange…. :o LOL
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Scott Wallen

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 12:20:44 AM »
just out of the press,  :D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:11:46 AM »
The purpose of brining is to get the salt into the cheese.
And to tighten up the rind.... ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Scott Wallen

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
"we all like to see pictures of other people's cheese"

sharing is caring  :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »

Why is that???  Strange…. :o LOL
I feel a need to state the obvious. ::)

Viewing pics of cheese, equipment, descriptions of techniques....
  • Checking someone else's success/failure against one's own efforts.
  • Like fine art, fine dining, fine...anything...just appreciating something done well that pleases the senses.
  • Inspecting for possible problems... ??? ...and possibly offering solutions.
  • Gathering ideas for one's own future efforts.
-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Scott Wallen

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
just to add something to my previous entry's, Thank you all for your replies they have been helpfull, although I couldn't find on this forum where any one had tried this, I was uncomfortable with the idea of heating on my gas stove to bring the wax to the proper temperature for mold spore killing, even in a double boiler, I was concerned with starting a fire! I purchased an inexpensive electric multi cooker that had a variable temperature control, I simply melted the wax and increased the temp to 240 degrees F. and put my first coat on, I then let the wax cool to around 180 and re dipped to put on a much thicker coat, the cheese looks pretty and I did not burn anything down!

mjr522

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:23:40 AM »
I've just an electric stove, but have read precautions about using a gas stove and heating wax hot enough (which, you can't do with a double boiler unless it's somehow pressurized...).  I'm glad to hear that things appear to have been successful.  Now comes the fun wait... ;)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »
just to add something to my previous entry's, Thank you all for your replies they have been helpfull, although I couldn't find on this forum where any one had tried this, I was uncomfortable with the idea of heating on my gas stove to bring the wax to the proper temperature for mold spore killing, even in a double boiler, I was concerned with starting a fire! I purchased an inexpensive electric multi cooker that had a variable temperature control, I simply melted the wax and increased the temp to 240 degrees F. and put my first coat on, I then let the wax cool to around 180 and re dipped to put on a much thicker coat, the cheese looks pretty and I did not burn anything down!

Check it out.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Scott Wallen

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
Awesome, Thank you!