Author Topic: rennet question  (Read 2647 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
rennet question
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
I have been using the same container of liquid single strength rennet (Mad Millie) for about 9 months. It seems like my flocculation times are getting shorter. I would have expected longer as the rennet ages...  I have not done so, but perhaps rennet containers need to be shaken before measuring?
I suppose another reason would be waiting to see the 0.1 drop in pH before adding the rennet, so I may be renneting at a lower pH than previously.
Susan

bbracken677

Re: rennet question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »
Not sure about the shaking (I always do, just in case) but that sounds reasonable, since with enough age the rennet should be weaker.

And yes, it is my understanding that a lower pH (perhaps up to a point?) the rennet will be more effective.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 10:58:41 PM »
perhaps rennet containers need to be shaken before measuring
They do not.
I may be renneting at a lower pH than previously.
Possible, no way to know without measuring. Winter months tend to have more solids, makes for a shorter time to floc.

stratocasterdave

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
Maybe the rennet is still fine.  Maybe its the quality milk that changed.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »
That's why you should use the flocculation method - to account for changes in both milk and rennet.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 01:07:35 AM »
The reason I was getting faster flocculation was that in switching to a syringe, I was not accounting for the .2ml of rennet that was in the blunt tip needle connected to the syringe, so I was getting more rennet than I thought.
Susan