Author Topic: Truffle cheese  (Read 5622 times)

hoeklijn

Truffle cheese
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:01:55 PM »
Anybody ever tasted Truffle cheese? I did last Saturday at a party. Turned out to be a Gouda shaped cheese with small pieces of black truffle, made in the Netherlands in the neighbourhood of Kinderdijk (second image) from the milk of Frisian Holsteiners. What a delicious cheese! When I can find black truffles for a reasonable price, I'm going to try this!

mjr522

Re: Truffle cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »
I don't know much about truffles, but I was very surprised the first time I saw truffles at a grocery store in Maryland.  They were in a locked box and had a price of $600/ounce listed.  If that's normal, I don't imagine I'll ever make this cheese.  But if you do, feel free to send some my way.  :)

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »
LOL, the fresh ones I saw for 65 Euro per 50 gram (1.7 oz.), but I also saw jars of 100 gram olive oil with shavings of black truffle for 18 Euro....

stratocasterdave

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
WOW! You just inspired me, thanks!!  I have several ounces of dried morel mushrooms in storage that I picked last spring.  Now I have a great use for them.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
Chinese and summer truffles are cheaper. The truffles used for cheese are not perigolds, generally. They're cheaper variants that go for under $100/ounce

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:05:37 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:01:04 PM »
There are LOTS of different kinds of truffles, some are expensive, some aren't (relatively speaking). For example, Oregon truffles are generally a fraction of the European varieties partly because of all the shipping and middlemen. In fact, Oregon Truffles may go for just $20/ounce or less. Black truffles are usually more expensive than white ones, and Winter truffles are more expensive than the Summer varieties. Wild truffles are more expensive than cultivated ones.

Truffles tend to absorb the flavors that they are mixed with, so I doubt that any of the mainstream cheese manufacturers are using the high end (expensive) truffles.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:29 PM »
As you want to put it into cheese you should buy the pieces which are normally much cheaper.  Are you going to make a sheeps milk cheese with them?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:13:30 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

hoeklijn

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 05:40:06 AM »
As you want to put it into cheese you should buy the pieces which are normally much cheaper.  Are you going to make a sheeps milk cheese with them?
Nope, still haven't found a supplier for sheep milk. The cheese I had is also made from cows milk.

stratocasterdave

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »
I have a good source for sheep milk here in Western WIsconsin. PM me.

Tomer1

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
I've got some troufle paste preserved in oil which Ive been meaning to use in some sheep's cheese and lactics.

mjr522

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
Well, Herman, you can now revert back "normal" in my mind.  You brief excursion into "obscenely wealthy" was short lived.  ;)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 01:49:25 AM »
And then...? ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »

-Boofer-
Well, it will be a bit hard to get it from Wisconsin to The Netherlands I suppose :)

stratocasterdave

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »

-Boofer-

I forgot the most important part, you need to move to WI.   :P