Author Topic: Camembert #1 - Bust  (Read 2798 times)

Offline kdttocs

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
Camembert #1 - Bust
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:19:13 PM »
Thought I would share my results of my first Camembert. Didn't think it could ripen that quick but since I have little exposure to aging Cams I guess I know what to look for now. :)

The good thing is it seems to taste pretty good! I just wrapped Cam #2 a couple days ago and in the cooler temp. Will watch it closer for sure. May even lower the temp further after seeing this.

linuxboy

Re: Camembert #1 - Bust
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
either cook/stir the curds more before draining or use more fat in the milk to fix this. Temp will only do so much.

Ross

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 12:12:53 AM »
I'm no expert on Camemberts, as you can see from my post 'pink Camemberts'
I agree with Linuxboy, you could cook / stir a bit longer to remove some extra whey, but I would also suggest a larger container for you Cams, so as to increase the air to cheese ratio. Some of my cams also had a very runny centre, and I have stirred the curd a but longer with each batch and I am hoping that my latest one will be OK. My cave/fridge is set at 12deg C or about 50-52degF, once the PC has covered the cheese I wrap them and store them at around 3-4 degC, about36-38degF. You could also turn your cams daily.

Good luck with your future Cams.

margaretsmall

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 03:56:18 AM »
Gosh, that softened quickly, didn't it. Cheese sauce! I'm impressed by your record sheet, succint but informative.
Margaret

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »
I'm confused.  I didn't think Cam curds were stirred or cooked at all.  I make Brie, not Cams, but thought the recipe was pretty much the same with the difference being height/width proportion differences.  For Brie I just cut and ladle and thought it was the same for Cams.

I agree that more airspace might help and also patting down the PC growth and wrapping then moving to regular fridge once coverage is complete.  I have heard, and hope someone with experience can elaborate upon, that adding Geo to the mix might help avoid the runniness.

Glad it was tasty and thanks for posting with photos!  it's all a learning curve, isn't it?   :D

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »

I'm confused.  I didn't think Cam curds were stirred or cooked at all.  I make Brie, not Cams, but thought the recipe was pretty much the same with the difference being height/width proportion differences.  For Brie I just cut and ladle and thought it was the same for Cams.

I also do not cut or stir the curds when I make my cams. I just ladle the curds directly into the forms once the flocculation period is complete. I use a x6 multiplier. 

One thing I did notice ...1/2 tsp of FD seems a bit much for one gallon...I use 1/4 for 2 gallons. I also note a lack of Geo, just the PC...not sure if that had an influence or not.

Offline kdttocs

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 05:26:35 PM »
It's very possible the lack of Geo could have exasperated the problem.  Another problem I had was the rind ammoniated even though it was still young. I've since learned this was likely due to wrapping the paper and continuing to store in box.

Somethings I've learned:

-Needs Geo
-Dry longer
-Remove from container after wrap with paper
-Cut back FD to 1/4tsp

-Cam#2 is about 4 days in cheese paper now and it has Geo and less FD. It's also in the colder fridge.
-Cam#3 just finished drying for longer. I have the most hope for this one as it includes everything I've learned so far. We'll see in a few weeks!

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »
I didn't think Cam curds were stirred or cooked at all.
which variant? Cooking is very rare, stirring less so. Depends on the moisture target and how it jives with culture choice, floc, and milk PF.

the recipe was pretty much the same with the difference being height/width proportion differences. 
The basic idea is the same, but pH targets and make process differs.
the difference being height/width proportion differences.
That in cams rarely changes. If the proportions change, it is no longer a cam.
adding Geo to the mix might help avoid the runniness.
It tends to make it worse.
the lack of Geo could have exasperated the problem. 
Other way around. Geo increases protein breakdown.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
I don't cook my curds but I do cut them and let them sit for about 10 minutes before ladeling.  So far (3 makes?) I've had good results, but they do tend to want to ammoniate if I don't get them in a very cool place quickly.  Somewhere on this forum, someone suggested "taking them out for a walk" occasionally, i.e., air them out for an hour when turning, and that has helped.