Author Topic: Horseradish Cheddar from Costco  (Read 7073 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Horseradish Cheddar from Costco
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:58 PM »
I bought this at costco a week or so ago. Horseradish Cheddar seemed tasty. I opened it and just the feel was not appetizing. I was creamy, to me which a cheddar should be, and slightly rubbery but not in a good way. I would describe Tilamook Cheddar as rubbery, but a good rubbery. It had plenty of horseradish taste but the mouth feel and taste were not good. I will use some of this in a mac and cheese and report back, but as far as a slice on a cracker....where did Chili put that picture of bleach.

P.S. After reading and looking at the pic I realized it's not really a rubbery feel but a creamy rubbery. It definately has the texture of one cheese out there that's mass produced and I cant think of it right now.

saycheese

Re: Horseradish Cheddar from Costco
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:10:55 AM »
Carter,
We tried that cheese from Costco too and were very disappointed in it.  I thought the horseradish flavor was overpowering for the rest of the cheese.  My husband ate the bulk of it as a cheese to eat with fruit.  It's not high on our list of cheese tastes to strive for.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »
You could be right about it being overpowering, but I didn't pay too much attention because the texture was so aweful.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:39:20 AM »
Thanks for the report, somehow I don't think of Horseradish and cheese going well together, I'll stay away.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
Horseradish cheedar is delightful smoked!

makkonen

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »
I've had a thought kicking around in my head for the last few days. I saw that cheese at costco, and thought it looked interesting -- not so much for the horseradish, as for it being an aged cheddar that was pasteurized processed. This comes on the heels of a discussion over in the recipes section of velveeta and nacho cheese (cheez?). I've been wondering about what would go into making a cheese at home that was good, and strong, and flavorful, but still melted down in that even, almost unholy way that velveeta does.

Anyway, the ingredient list for that cheese, plus an idea for 'pliable parmesan' on a molecular gastronomy recipe site makes me think that trisodium citrate is the way to go. It's an emulsifying salt; not sure sure the mechanism of action, but it's been used to make processed cheese for at least 70 years now, and seems to still be the best choice. It's cheap on ebay, but I haven't bit the bullet and ordered any yet.

I'd be curious to hear how that horseradish cheddar works in a mac n cheese... it seems like all the pasteurized process cheeses are designed for, and really only good for, applications where they're melted.

I hope my ideas don't seem too heretical to the folks here. Everyone's trying to get back to authentic artisanal methods, and I'm trying to recreate the lab in my kitchen.