Author Topic: Waxed Pressed Cheese - Mold Under Wax  (Read 469 times)

Offline Papaclaude

  • Young Cheese
  • **
  • Location: Ottawa, Canada
  • Posts: 12
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Waxed Pressed Cheese - Mold Under Wax
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »
About a month ago, I made a cheddar using whole milk. It is waxed. At the time, we did not have cheese wax, so we used the 1/2 Parowax, 1/2 vegetable oil recipe. Now the cheese seems to be getting moldy (looks like a green mold is developing). Will my cheese spoil? What should I do? we were thinking of removing the wax, cleaning the mold off with salt water and re-waxing with real cheese wax. Suggestions?


Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.


Offline Schnecken Slayer

  • Mature Cheese
  • ****
  • Location: Newcastle, Australia
  • Posts: 429
  • Cheeses: 14
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Waxed Pressed Cheese - Mold Under Wax
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »
I would remove the wax and clean it up with a vinegar and salt mixture.
Reading other articles here it seems that, if you are going to re-wax it, you wipe it all over with vinegar and dry it off to kill any other spores that may be there.

I don't know what parowax is but I would recommend getting some proper cheese wax.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline sofusryge

  • Medium Cheese
  • ***
  • Location: Denmark
  • Posts: 64
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Bees, chickens, gardening, brewing, cheesing
    • Fremstillet i Forstaden
Re: Waxed Pressed Cheese - Mold Under Wax
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »
Yep, that's what i would do. Make sure the cheese is dry to touch, and make sure the cheesewax is properly heated (100-110 celcius should do the trick). The hot wax will kill any left over mold spores on the surface of the cheese.

Offline Papaclaude

  • Young Cheese
  • **
  • Location: Ottawa, Canada
  • Posts: 12
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Re: Waxed Pressed Cheese - Mold Under Wax
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »
I would remove the wax and clean it up with a vinegar and salt mixture.
Reading other articles here it seems that, if you are going to re-wax it, you wipe it all over with vinegar and dry it off to kill any other spores that may be there.

I don't know what parowax is but I would recommend getting some proper cheese wax.

Parowax is just a paraffin wax used for canning jams and jellies and for crafts. A cheesemaking book we have (or a website, can't remember which) had a recipe which called for a 50/50 mix of parowax and vegetable oil. We now have real cheese wax.