Author Topic: Pressed Cheese, Cut - Small Gaps, Rewax?  (Read 1305 times)

Papaclaude

Pressed Cheese, Cut - Small Gaps, Rewax?
« on: January 29, 2013, 02:08:09 AM »
We just made several batches of cheese. One was a Colby. We decided to cut 1 wheel in half so we could eat one in a few months and let 1 age longer. When we cut the wheel, there are small "holes" in the cheese. Will this cause the cheese to spoil while it is drying? Do we just wax as usual when it is dry?

mjr522

Re: Pressed Cheese, Cut - Small Gaps, Rewax?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:42:40 AM »
I don't think I'd use the word spoil to describe the difficulty caused by mechanical holes while drying, though there are some others.  One problem comes more from the larger amount of exposed surface area the will lead to uneven drying.  Another concern is the crevices provide places where mold growth is difficult to control.

With that said, I have done what you are describing, and, even with the uneven drying (I didn't have any mold problems), I still waxed mine like normal and it turned out okay.  Others may have had different experiences, and some might even have a trick or two to help you out.  Good luck!

stratocasterdave

Re: Pressed Cheese, Cut - Small Gaps, Rewax?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
I have cut wheels and vacu-packet the remainder for further aging.  A few of them have had machanical holes.  Not sure if I got lucky or not but I didn't have any mold growth visible.

Good luck, post a follow up.

Dave