Author Topic: Humboldt Fog video - small snippets of their process  (Read 19212 times)

Offline kdttocs

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
Re: Humboldt Fog video - small snippets of their process
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 01:08:43 AM »
It's been my understanding that once the penn mold completely covers the cheese you want to stop the mold growth by dropping the temperature. At this time I also wrap with proper cheese paper as it's designed to maintain a microclimate immediate around the cheese, letting it breath but retain moisture.

In my first couple Cam batches, I would age at ~40-43F but this was also resulting it liquefaction/slipskin. When I started aging in my regular fridge at lower temps I got a slower ripening but I felt my time window of ideal ripeness was longer and the ripening wasn't as aggressive.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:21:40 AM by kdttocs »

dirigoma

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 03:23:03 AM »
Thanks for this as I'd hate to have it slip now!  Will wrap tomorrow and cool down, and try to hold off cutting into it! Dirigoma

Tomer1

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 03:19:08 PM »
you wrote:
"Of the things I did different, reducing the internal moisture content and lower aging temp helped eliminate the slip."

How are you reducing the internal moisture?  A predrain?  Longer wait to cutting?  Enquiring mind wants to know!   ;)

You can even give it a good 12-24 hours in the cave (its already finished acidifying to 4.6-4.7 pH in the pot).  this will give you a drier cheese which can perhaps be matured longer without going liquid and packing alot of aroma and texture.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »
you wrote:
"Of the things I did different, reducing the internal moisture content and lower aging temp helped eliminate the slip."

How are you reducing the internal moisture?  A predrain?  Longer wait to cutting?  Enquiring mind wants to know!   ;)

You can even give it a good 12-24 hours in the cave (its already finished acidifying to 4.6-4.7 pH in the pot).  this will give you a drier cheese which can perhaps be matured longer without going liquid and packing alot of aroma and texture.

Tomer, how do you mean it can be given 12-24 hours in the cave?  In the pot?  In the mold?  I'd like to make sure I understand you so I can try it.  Thanks!

Tomer1

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 12:59:14 AM »
The acidification of the milk takes about 18 hours (vary depending on culture and temp) in the pot after which enough acid has developed for coagulation to accure , at which point you drain the curds and yes, you can leave it in the cave to drain.  right now its still winter'ish so you can leave it out I suppose.  just check it every few hours to make sure the holes are not cloged and check the texture... you want it to look like in the video... :) 

Gone attemp it with cows milk and see if I can get it right.  Goat is too damn expenssive and a long drive away...   

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 12:40:03 PM »
The acidification of the milk takes about 18 hours (vary depending on culture and temp) in the pot after which enough acid has developed for coagulation to accure , at which point you drain the curds and yes, you can leave it in the cave to drain.  right now its still winter'ish so you can leave it out I suppose.  just check it every few hours to make sure the holes are not cloged and check the texture... you want it to look like in the video... :) 

Gone attemp it with cows milk and see if I can get it right.  Goat is too damn expenssive and a long drive away...   

Hmm, I'm still not sure but it sounds like you are talking about draining it in the molds.  I started a batch last night about 10 pm.  It was fully coagulated by 7 this morning and now it is pre draining.  I'm not sure how long to pre drain.  It was very well coagulated.  (1 1/2 gallons of raw goat milk) I'll have to head to the barn for two hours of morning chores and would normally stay there for another hour today to clean stalls but now wonder if I need to come back and hoop the cheese in between.  Any suggestions anyone?

Tomer1

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 12:59:49 PM »
I do mean predraining, hang it untill the curds are very dry. Id go with 12 hours then pack it tight into a bottomless mold like they show in the video with the ash layer in between.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 01:28:53 PM »
I do mean predraining, hang it untill the curds are very dry. Id go with 12 hours then pack it tight into a bottomless mold like they show in the video with the ash layer in between.

Thank you SO much for clarifying SO quickly!  Now I can stay up at the barn knowing the cheese can drain further!   ;D

Offline kdttocs

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 04:47:07 PM »
I'd just predrain until I got a texture matching the video. As Tomer1 said, 12 hours is probably a good minimum. It seemed very dry in the video. Certainly no visible moisture. I don't think maintaining the curd structure is at all required once predrained so it can be mixed and moisture gauged before molded without concern.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »
Well, I did about a 12 hour pre drain and it dried out well.  Packed the curds into cheesecloth (wet with whey first) lined molds.  flipped them twice, rewrapping each time.  Had loaned out my cam molds so had to use crottin molds so now I have three small foggies.
I did stack and press them and got about a cup of whey drained.  I brined them for an hour, they dried out well and then I put ash on them.  They are now in a box at 50 degrees. 

I'm playing with names.....thought about doing a brandy wash after PC bloom and then naming them Brandy Haze.  Or Alcoholoc Haze. 

Tomer, are you doing one of these now?

Tomer1

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »
So im attempting this one.
12L of cow's milk.
Probat 222 ,  2% Starter culture.
1\16 geo 13
1\16 PC neige
Thermized milk to 55c, held for 5 minutes and cooled to 32c.
Inoculated and after 60 minutes I added 2-3 drops of veg rennet diluted in cold water.

I'm excited! :)   

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:07:46 PM by Tomer1 »

akhoneybee

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
I love this thread and I've been following closely.  We had HF last weekend when friends came over.  Rave reviews.  Your cheese looks fabulous, is this the new cheese trend now!

Tomer1

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »
If it turns out anything like a Buche de Chevre (minus the goaty notes) I'l be thriled.   Thats one of my favorite bloomy type cheeses... 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:12:04 PM by Tomer1 »

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 12:14:56 AM »
I did a Humboldt Fog style cheese and the make date was 3/9/13   
I used MA 4002, PC VB and Geo 13
I did a predrain for about 12 hours or so
Brined these for an hour and then ashed and put at about 55 degrees.
On 3/23 I wrapped 2 of them and put in fridge and washed the third with honey flavored whiskey and let it sit for a few more days before wrapping and putting in fridge.
I've been wondering when they'd be ready....giving them a feel once in a while and not noticing much softening.  Checked other comments on this thread and thought, "Oh my gosh, I better open these.....it's been 26 days already!"
Attached are photos.  I haven't had Humboldt Fog for a few years so I don't remember it's flavor well.  These surprised me but I can't quite tell you what the flavor reminds me of.  I'm calling the plain ones "Berkshire Mist"  (I live in the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains) and the whiskey one "Drunken Haze".  This cheese is particularly nice with the slices of apple.

Oh, I can't remember why the ash ended up at about 2/3 rather than 1/2 way up.  I think my misjudgment of how much curd was in the pot.

akhoneybee

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 12:18:35 AM »
Stupid question,
What is PC VB and where do I find it?

I like the 2/3, it's "your" cheese....