Author Topic: Hello with a big cheesy grin from Cornwall in the south west of England  (Read 3002 times)

Eileen

Hi, my name is Eileen and brand new to cheese making I have today made my second cheddar in a week. It is currently undergoing its first light pressing and my first one will be waxed tonight.

I am a complete beginner and have found this forum to be a superb source of information, thanks for allowing me to join.

I am particularly interested in being a bit creative with cheddar and adding a few other ingredients when I get the hang of the basics. Maybe someone could give advice or point me in the direction of some recipes?

The cheese I make is primarily for our own use and that of friends and family depending on how they come out of course!

mjr522

Re: Hello with a big cheesy grin from Cornwall in the south west of England
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  There are lots of people who make cheeses with interesting additions.  I've only ever tried cumin seeds in Gouda and chili's in a monterey jack.  I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »
Welcome!!  I'm extremely jealous as you can get clotted cream and I can't. LOL  I lived in England for 9 years.  Wife is from London and she has/had friends living in Devon.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
So Eileen. Have you ever gone to the cheese rolling in Gloucester? THAT is certainly a creative thing to do with cheddar. ;)

curd nerd

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
dear EILEEN,,,,,,,,,,greetings from TASMANIA ,,,,,,,appropo to the first paragraph in your post , no doubt you will read this

when you return from the meeting of cheese makers anonymous [ sic ]

to assist you with your intended creativeness here are a few additions iv'e used over the last circa 3 x years

mainly talking hard cheeses here

to every 8 x litres of milk i add 1200 ml of cream,,,cumin , black and green crushed peppercorns , chives , paprika , onion

powder , ginger powder , sage , chilli flakes , minced garlic powder,,,,,,,,,,,and sometimes a couple of drops of annatto

with the herbs and spices i started sterilising them by boiling for 5 x minutes and applying them to cheese, but soon found that boiling for 15 minutes and applying tincture ONLY , was much more acceptable

we smoke most of our cheddar's with apple and cherry wood  and either wax or rind wash with a mixture of salt to

saturation , port , sherry , muscat , vinegar and olive oil,,,,,,,,,,have even used whey at times but try not to let our dogs

catch me , if you get my drift ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gave cloth bandaging with lard a go the other day,,and no need to guess what i do

to cheese i'm making on ST. PATRICK's day

apart from this brilliant website another is LITTLEGREENCHEESE.COM        ,,an AUSSIE bloke who has instructional

videos on this site,,,,,,,,,free of course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you will also find him on YOUTUBE.COM

all the best and don't worry if the cheeses misfire occasionally ,,i spent my life in grog laboratories or on the production

floor and still come unstuck now and again with cheese ,,,,,,,,usually caused by operator error

many regards ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,brian

Eileen

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »
Welcome!!  I'm extremely jealous as you can get clotted cream and I can't. LOL  I lived in England for 9 years.  Wife is from London and she has/had friends living in Devon.

Ever tried making your own clotted cream Al, it's quite easy? We are from London originally but have also owned a house in Devon for 19 years and only recently moved to Cornwall and you are right, the clotted cream comes with everything.

Eileen

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »
So Eileen. Have you ever gone to the cheese rolling in Gloucester? THAT is certainly a creative thing to do with cheddar. ;)

No, only seen it on TV !

Eileen

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »
Thanks for all the info Curd Nerd, I am definitely going to give some of these a try. In the supermarkets here they sell cheddar with pickled onions and chives. According to the ingredients listed they use freeze dried chives but I am not sure how the prepare the picked onions. I am assuming they would just chop up and pat them dry of vinegar, does that sound about right?  I have a lot of homemade pickled onions and I wouldn't mind giving this a go.  :D

curd nerd

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »
pickled onions excellent !!!!!!!!,,,,,,I would leave the residual vinegar on the surface,,,helps sterility

anything you use to "pat down " with , make sure it's sterile too [ but you knew all that anyway ]

if intending to long term ripen your cheddar I would use onion powder , prepared as per my first email to you ,

CORNWALL eh!  is your G.P. Doc MARTIN ??????????????

have just finished a STILTON-esque type cheese here , will give it circa 3 x months at 10 c + 90%

many regards ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,brian

'

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »
Thanks for all the info Curd Nerd, I am definitely going to give some of these a try. In the supermarkets here they sell cheddar with pickled onions and chives. According to the ingredients listed they use freeze dried chives but I am not sure how the prepare the picked onions. I am assuming they would just chop up and pat them dry of vinegar, does that sound about right?  I have a lot of homemade pickled onions and I wouldn't mind giving this a go.  :D

Hi There!  Welcome!!    :D. Do remember that any ingredients added that affect the pH will have an impact and perhaps not one that you want.  Some have used further additions to rebalance the pH after testing.  good luck.  keep us posted and do share photos!!

Eileen

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »
Thanks Tiarella, I will bear that in mind. I think I will just feel my way very gently with this one as I am such a novice. Will be waxing my second cheddar tomorrow and both look really good but who knows what they will taste like  :o

By the way, I love your cheese avatar, what are the herbs around the sides?