Author Topic: What did I make  (Read 3326 times)

gtmoore

What did I make
« on: January 18, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »
I'm very new to cheesemaking (yesterday was my first attempt).  I messed the recipe up and made "something"; just wondering what I made?  I took a 1/2 gallon of milk, heated to 120F, removed from heat, added 3/8 cup vinegar, stirred for two minutes (forgot to let sit for 30 minutes); drained in cheesecloth-covered colander.  Then, rinsed in cold tap water for five minutes.  What exactly did I make.  It certainly resembles farmer cheese and is edible; but, very tasteless.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: What did I make
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:45:04 PM »
You made a generic acid coagulated cheese. You can add herbs, etc to give it more flavor. What were you TRYING to make?

gtmoore

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »
I was trying to make cottage cheese.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »
American style cottage cheese? That's not made with vinegar.

margaretsmall

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
This is more like ricotta.  Maybe a bit heavy handed on the vinegar.
Margaret

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »
I have never made cottage cheese but I'm thinking the rinsing washed away all the flavor?

High Altitude

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
I haven't made cottage cheese either, but I'm guessing some salt will get you a long way down the cheese-making road!  Good luck with your next try  ;D.

Fugal Faye

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »
Hi GTMoore, I did have to laugh to myself, my first post is very similar to yours.  I tried making halloumi, it didn't work so I strained it and it tastes like ricotta. 
Oh well - waste not, want not. What other cheeses have you made? Good luck in your endeavours.