Author Topic: Goat Cheese logs  (Read 1529 times)

Offline lmaguire

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Goat Cheese logs
« on: December 17, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
I am looking to make goat cheese logs. I have in the past direct mild and drained in the traditional manner with satisfactory results.  However applying the correct amount of salt evenly has always been a challenge, with results being inconsistent. Recently I came across what I think is a different method but I did not see all the steps.

I have seen the cheese made and then bag drained. It is then weighed and the appropriate amount of salt added, then the salt is mixed in with a large commercial mixer.

The rest of the process I am unsure of, but I think it is then (forced to remove air pockets) put into a molds and re-fridgerated (around 8 C) for a number of days (to dry the cheese further).  Over the period of the few days the cheese shrinks and it is then possible to remove it from the mold and it retains the shape.

I know they definitely do not direct mold.  Is anyone aware of this process and can anyone add or comment on the process?

One advantage is the control of the precise amount of salt.

Thanks in advance, Lar.

Offline Littlest Goat

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Goat Cheese logs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 01:49:45 AM »
Hi
 I make my chevre into 4-5 oz logs by bag draining for about 24 hrs then turning cheese into  large bowl ,adding salt ,mixing (by hand),scooping the cheese onto the scale ,and then, also by hand, forming my logs.I then let the cheese drain for another day or 2,until I like the feel .The salt will pull out more whey.Then wrap.  I am only a small fry in the amount that I make at a given time so this works good for me.
  I do have a few molds and used to scoop curds into those and let drain,then unmold and rub gently with salt.then drain a little more.That was all fine.I mostly switched to the logs to be able to scale the curds and make consistent sizes for selling. I would say the there is a bit of texture difference between the 2 methods.But since I am hand mixing my salt in and forming I am not likely to get air whipped into the curd during forming.Always lots to learn and play with.