Author Topic: Tomme # 1  (Read 10136 times)

jwalker

Re: Tomme # 1
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
That looks great!

A Tomme is going to be my next cheese project.

Oh , and welcome.

Cheers , Jim.

CWREBEL

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »
Thanks Jim.

High Altitude

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »
So cool!  Now I wanna make a Tomme also!  I have been scared of natural rind "development", but think with all these photos (and how you could keep things in check and nothing got overly "icky") I am coming around  ;D.  Thanks!  A cheese for you....

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 06:46:20 PM »
Chris,  My mycodore rind just never quits so I tried brushing it over and over, rubbing it, gave it verbal commands like "sit" and "stay" (well, not really), rubbed with olive oil, etc. etc.  The Mycodore came back even after 2 olive oil coatings and we're talking thick like people used to put on suntan oil!   8)  Sooooo, I'm keeping up with the olive oil  But now I'm wondering about coconut oil since it has a little bit of anti-microbial action I think if I remember correctly.  I just don't want the mycodore to make the cheese taste too much like dirt or mushrooms.....although I am not experienced to know if this would indeed by a possible outcome.  I think it was Boofer who said he and his wife found it a bit strong.  Keep me posted......want to know how it goes.  I posted a photo of my oiled on on that recreational photo thread on the Lounge board.  That was just days ago and I already had to oil it again.  Phew!    ???

CWREBEL

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »
Yeah, the mycodore is pretty well established. I'll take a before and after pic tonight or tomorrow when I brush it again. I like to interact with it, so I don't mind tending to it. Originally, I wanted to crack it open at 60 days to check it's progress, but I'm starting to think I should hold out until around 90. It's around 50 days right now.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »
Will you cut it open or do a trier core sample? 

CWREBEL

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
I don't have a trier, but that would probably be the best way to go. I can't seem to find them for less than $60. I still have some time to think about it, plus the cheese only stands about 2 inches high. I don't know if that would factor into sampling it with a trier or not.

CWREBEL

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
Thanks for the cheese High Altitude!

I was a little leary about the rind too, but like you the more time I spent on the forum, the more confident I became. And so far it has behaved somewhat predictably. Maybe it's just beginers luck!  ;D

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
I don't have a trier, but that would probably be the best way to go. I can't seem to find them for less than $60. I still have some time to think about it, plus the cheese only stands about 2 inches high. I don't know if that would factor into sampling it with a trier or not.

I don't have a trier either and won't be spending money on one.  Other forum members are using those part circular fruit peeler. 

CWREBEL

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 11:02:45 PM »
I saw, that's a smart idea.