Author Topic: My First Cheese On The Board, Gouda  (Read 2037 times)

CheeWilly

My First Cheese On The Board, Gouda
« on: April 20, 2013, 02:58:44 AM »
Finished pressing my first cheese, a Gouda, and have it brining until tomorrow.  Will wax when dry.  This is alot of work, but hopefully worth the effort.

smilingcalico

Re: My First Cheese On The Board, Gouda
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 03:35:12 AM »
TopsGood For You, Chee! It Doesn't Appear As Though You Used Cheese Cloth During The press. That Should Help with The Rough Tops.

Red

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:24:35 AM »
Congratulations!  I started with Gouda as well, and was very pleasantly surprised at my success when we opened it 2 months later... be patient...it will be worth the wait.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:46:52 AM »
Looks good and I look forward to hearing how it tastes.  How long do you plan to age it?  I highly recommend making Caerphilly cheese because it's a hard cheese you can eat any time after 3 weeks so it's a great cheese for learning on because you can taste how it went without waiting months on end.   ;D  We all know how hard that is.  Plus, Caerphilly is a perfect cheese for doing different rind treatments.  I've had clean rinds, natural mold rinds, flavored rinds of smoked paprika  (made a paste with that and olive oil and "iced" the cheese with it), cocoa powder rub, etc.  I've also done leaf adornment which is very nice looking and a real pain to maintain during aging....  worth it to me though.  You can see threads on those on the relevant board.  Jeff Hamm has done a lot of Caerphilly makes and has written very detailed posts.  My first hard cheese was Caerphilly and I used the recipe at www.littlegreencheese.com 
He has a beginner's cheesemaking ebook now here:  http://www.littlegreencheese.com/
Here's his posts on Caerphilly including a video version.  http://www.littlegreencheese.com/search/label/Caerphilly

CheeWilly

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:21:11 AM »
Well I made a second gouda from the website instead of the book.  I hit all the targets spot on that they described.  I will be waiting a minimum of 3 months before trying both cheeses.  I will compare the two at that time, book versus website.  Next up is Caerphilly and blue cheese.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »
Well I made a second gouda from the website instead of the book.  I hit all the targets spot on that they described.  I will be waiting a minimum of 3 months before trying both cheeses.  I will compare the two at that time, book versus website.  Next up is Caerphilly and blue cheese.

very cool!  I'm eager to see how the Gouda makes turn out.  I've been nervous to try that one for some reason.  Do you have the book by Gianaclis Caldwell?  She's got great recipes and great info about what to do and why. 
I think you'll like the Caerphilly a lot and I'm curious what type of blue you make.  I have some blue culture to use but haven't chosen a recipe yet.