Author Topic: Gouda adjustments for tighter knit  (Read 840 times)

Clean break

Gouda adjustments for tighter knit
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:50:06 PM »
Hello and Hello,

This is my first post of many to come I am sure.  Total NOOB made like 8 batches of mozz. yogurt, cheddar, feta.  The Blue Gouda in Artisan Cheese making at Home is what I am trying to make.  I am using half farm fresh cow milk which I pasteurized at 145 for 30 minutes and half store bought P/H (I called the dairy, high 170's past. temp) milk.  Mad Millie Meso. and P. Roque. liquid vege rennet. All as per recipe since the fresh milk has been pasteurized.

I have done some reading as to how to get a tighter knit and here is what I am going to try today (as we speak).  Switch to floc. test to get the time to cut curds instead of the 30-45 minutes or clean break instructions to try to minimize the chances of over doing the curds.  The other thing I am planning on doing is pressing in a pot filled with warm whey to maintain warmer curds while pressing.  I am planning on keeping to the 5 lbs. for 30 minutes and 10 lbs. for 6 hours. 

There was some discussion on other threads about ph at certain times to allow for a better knit but I am not set up yet to check ph.

Thank you, This forum is pretty incredible.
Scott

ps I don't have time right now to look, can someone tell me why the picture is rotated after I post it?

linuxboy

Re: Gouda adjustments for tighter knit
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
make sure your curds are cooked completely before draining, and press under whey. Keep temp at the higher end for the first 45-60 mins. Should achieve a tight knit.

Clean break

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »
Keep temp at the higher end for the first 45-60 mins.

45-60 mins. after cutting?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:09:33 PM »
Knit happens after drain. Higher temp encourages better knit. Read through my tomme thread, I talk about knit in detail.

Clean break

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »
Thank You,

The higher temp you are referring to is during pressing not cooking correct?

I Will read the tomme thread in a bit.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
I just meant keeping ambient temps high or pressing in warm whey for at least 15 mins once you start fusing the curds together. Not cooking, no.

Clean break

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
got it. thanks