Author Topic: Which Geo?  (Read 2265 times)

jerryg

Which Geo?
« on: January 19, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
I've had two failed attempts at a Geo only, "brainy" surface, Chabachou style goat cheese.
Using Geo 13 with Aroma B culture, no PC. The result both times was a sticky pink rind with large patches of blue mold.
The cheeses were well drained & air dried, pretty careful with temp & humidity control.
Any suggestions for success?

bbracken677

Re: Which Geo?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »
Hate to see a post go unanswered...

I have no answer for you as I have never made a geo only cheese...I make camemberts with geo and pc.

Wish I could help you out there.

jerryg

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
Thanks anyway. I'll keep experimenting.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
Jerry, OS there a reason you't not using PC?  I did a trial Valencay without PC in the milk, planning on spraying it on later after Geo got ahold bit the Geo didn't prevent other molds from appearing and even spraying the PC on after left me with cheeses with lots of Geo speckled with patches of blue and gray mold....and then PC bit not enough to block the undesirable molds.  I did a Chaource with both Geo and PC and got such great brainy patterns I was worried the zombies would show up but they got kind of slimy and I just didn't like the flavor or smell.  I think the variety of Geo you choose may have a big impact.  Some are mold like and some are yeast like if I'm remembering correctly.

jerryg

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:49:37 PM »
Thanks.
I've read that Geo 13 is more yeast-like and is the one common strain that can be used without PC. And that it would give me that wormy look. But as was your experience, used alone it just seemed to promote bad molds.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Well, there are so many variables that I wouldn't say quite that.  I'm not sure what about the Chaource style make made such brainy patterns and why the Valencay style didn't.  Could have been incomplete draining on the Valencay style because our dry winter air shuts down the curd drainage too fast I think.  In the summer I had better drainage but with the very dry house air I'm having to make adaptations to my draining such as covering  the trays of draining cheese molds with a loosely draped bag to slow the drying.