Author Topic: Hello from Toronto, Canada! Cheese!!!!!!!!  (Read 2974 times)

cheesenovice

Hello from Toronto, Canada! Cheese!!!!!!!!
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:26:09 AM »
Hi,

I'm JP. Originally from the tropics but now living with my small family here in cold cold Toronto, Canada.

My first encounter with cheese was at a family farm back home when I was about 4yrs old. I will never forget that homemade cheese called "kesong puti" which literally translates to "white cheese". As a kid, I've probably eaten lots of different kinds of cheeses before my first taste of "kesong puti" but what makes it unforgettable is the fact that the milk that was used to make the cheese was from a carabao (water buffalo) that was also the family pet that also happened to be the farm helper that tills the land. Without that carabao, we cannot fertilize the land, will not be able to sell our produce and we will starve (unless we eat the carabao itself but let's not go there). Anyway from that day, I was deeply inlove with cheese.

Sadly, like any usual love story, my love affair with cheese withered over the years of me being unfaithful- letting different blocks and jars of cheap processed cheese desensitize my tongue. Years have gone by and I slowly forgot what real cheese even taste like.

Fast forward to Toronto, Canada. I was strolling around the grocery when I chanced upon a slice of cheese that kinda reminded me of the "kesong puti" from my childhood. It's also white and kinda soft but this one has bluish greenish veins. I bought it and I took it home excited that I'm gonna have "kesong puti" one more time. I took a bite. And then I puked. It was the most appalling thing that I ever put in my mouth! How could they sell me rotten products! I was mad. And then I did some research. And I learned a lot of things about blue cheese. And I tried another bite again and I appreciated it. I actually liked it. I learned a thing about myself that day- no matter how weird the food is, as long as it comes with an interesting background story I would definitely devour it.

So I'm inlove with cheese again. One that stands out for me is Brie. But lately I've been craving a lot for Italian cheese but finding a good product here is a little challenge. My wife is not particular with cheese but she enjoys her wine and so we decided to put up a website called www.italiancheeseandwine.com last week. The site is not complete yet and we still have to fill it with content (we only have articles that we lifted from wikipedia at the moment) but anyway, we intend to compile the best list of online sellers of Italian Cheese and Wine and also to educate the public about this wonderful food and drink!

Anyhoo, my post is getting too long now. I hope to learn more about cheese in this forum. See ya!

Captain Caprine

Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada! Cheese!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:31:46 AM »
Curdophiles rejoice we have another prodigal son, come home to stay.
Welcome Cheesenovice we are glad to have you on board.
Captain Caprine

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:32:08 PM »
Welcome.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »
Finally, someone that is not >2000 miles from me.

Toronto is an afternoon road trip away.

Welcome

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:11:49 AM »
JP, welcome to the forum!

Nice story on cheese/Kesong! And nice looking website, looking forward to the material once you get some new stuff there.

I'm from Vancouver Canada, but am a weather and tax refugee living in Houston Texas ;D.

Sounds like you haven't made cheese before, have a good read around this website and forum and then try making some simple cheeses and then try this recipe ;).

cheesenovice

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:54:17 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

John, that is an awesome link! salamat! thank you sooo much! That will be our family project for next week and I will post some pics =D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 03:58:09 AM »
I was informed by John, cheese head, the webmaster that I must make jokes, I was actually chewed out for being plain and normal. So Let's see..hmmm

Did you know kesong puti is the sound a guy a makes when punched in the stomach after eating too much mexican food? True story, but not pretty.

Likesspace

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 12:09:08 AM »
LOL@Carter!

JP, welcome to the forum. You'll get used to Carter's sense of humor over time....I promise....or at least I think you will....okay, probably not. :-)

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 12:13:25 AM »
What would be funny is everyone found out years from now that my IP leads back to and institution for the criminally Insane.