Author Topic: pH / Culture Mistake / Questions  (Read 1774 times)

rolsen99

pH / Culture Mistake / Questions
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
So, I decided to make a Tomme using the Wacheese recipe.  As I was heating my milk, I realized that I didn't have the correct culture.  All I had was MA11.  So, in my noobness ways, I decided to give it a shot anyways.

Instead of a 30 minute ripening time, I had a 1 hour and 45 minute ripening time.  Then, as I continued through the process, my pH continued dropping rapidly, right through the targets.  My pH at draining was close to 6 (should have been above 6.35).  Needless to say, I don't have a Tomme brining right now.

Questions:
Obviously different cultures have different ripening characteristics.  I read now that 4000 is quick ripening.  What does the curve look like?  Does the 4000 ripen fast, but then allow time to go through the process and still drain at 6.35 pH?

What is up with the MA11?  Is it a slow starter, that rapidly picks up it's pace as the process continues?  My ripening always seems slow.

I think I need to expand to different cultures....

linuxboy

Re: pH / Culture Mistake / Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »
There is no such thing as a correct culture for tomme. The point is to use whatever you have on hand. My suggestion of 4001 is only to help ensure acidification. It's meant to work with raw milk that has enough ambient bacteria for flavor.

For tomme, there are only a few big caveats. One, drain fairly quickly, but ripen enough to start the acidifcation (ph .1 drop.) Two, form it quickly and get the curds dry enough so they are set in the mold. And three, let it acidify enough before brining.

4001 is not drastically quick ripening. It does start off a bit faster than MA IIRC.

When you are using DVI, all DVI will be slow to start. It takes time for them to wake up and do their thing.

rolsen99

Re: pH / Culture Mistake / Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:44:24 AM »
ripen enough to start the acidifcation (ph .1 drop.)

After reading your reply, it clicked in my head.  I went back to the recipe and make, and noticed that I waited for a .2 drop, not .02+, or as you recommened, .1.  So my initial ripening time was way long.  Dumb mistake.

I will try again! 

I wonder what kind of cheese I will end up with  :o

Thanks for your help!

PS, making a mother culture this weekend.....