Author Topic: Cam #3 or how I was duped into think my curds were stronger...  (Read 6327 times)

cowboycheese

Re: Cam #3 or how I was duped into think my curds were stronger...
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:24 PM »
Mike

Any updates on the revealing? How did batch 3 come out?

I just racked cam batch 1 for me and right off realized that only the FD (in Iratherfly's 10 step plan) isn't enough. My acid development isn't going as planned (the ph markers are but a fleeting desire). My ladle is also way too big to easily drop into the forms so I spilled everywhere. Somehow I'm sure I'll be able to eat these mistakes and try again.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 12:51:05 AM »
Mike

Any updates on the revealing? How did batch 3 come out?

I just racked cam batch 1 for me and right off realized that only the FD (in Iratherfly's 10 step plan) isn't enough. My acid development isn't going as planned (the ph markers are but a fleeting desire). My ladle is also way too big to easily drop into the forms so I spilled everywhere. Somehow I'm sure I'll be able to eat these mistakes and try again.

I'm starting to fantasize about a YouTube cheesemaker blooper compilation video.  There'd be segments of curds spilling all over, partners unknowingly toppling weighted pressing cheeses, facial expressions of makers tasting cheeses that taste gnarly, and of course the photos of really shockingly crazy rind molds!   ;D

akhoneybee

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 01:49:12 AM »
I thought I was the only curd fiasco.  I flipped two entire molds over my kitchen.  It took an hour to clean it up.

About the light, I heard it was a big no no.

mjr522

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 06:05:10 AM »
We're on vacation this week--I'll post a picture when we get back.  I ate #3 the day before we left (yeah...I ate almost a whole cam by myself in a single sitting--my belly hurt afterwards).  I put some olive oil, garlic, and chili powder and then baked it for a while, then broiled it for a bit to crisp the top.  We dipped crackers (no good break) in it.  It was really good--hence the belly ache.  Now, while I say it was really good, the cam itself wasn't terrific, but having it melted and flavored made it significantly better.

Tiarella:  that would be pretty entertaining--so long as we can blur faces so random people on the street won't point and laugh as I walk by...

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »
mike, I very much appreciate your droll sense of humor.   ;D. Some forum humor is a perfect start and end to any day in my humble opinion.  Thank you for this one.....good thing I didn't have a mouthful of tea when I read it.   :o