Author Topic: My 4-pulley dutch press  (Read 7499 times)

BobE102330

Re: My 4-pulley dutch press
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »
Are you using a hardwood like oak?  an oak 1x3 will be significantly stronger than pine or poplar and flex less. I have an oak 1x3 as a 30" lever arm with 1/4" bolts.  I can put over 250 pounds on the end of the lever arm. 

You might try making an I-beam or hang the pulleys from some pipe hanger strap around the beam to avoid creating weak spots.

If the break occurs at the pivot for the presser foot try making a notch at the bottom of the beam, maybe a half round to take the pivot pin.  That way you don't weaken the beam as much.  If at the rear pivot reinforce with metal cheeks around the pivot hole or another thickness or two of wood. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:11:30 PM by BobE102330 »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »
So I rebuilt the press, using a 2x3 to replace the piece that broke...and it broke, too.  Its weakness is from where the screws go through; since the weight pulls up right through there, it bows and breaks.  Frustrating.
Another reason for building mine with square tubular steel. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tom Turophile

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »
Oh, I've been contemplating metal; I just bought a blowtorch last week, anyway (for searing food, primarily).

I'm thinking that it was pine.  Thanks for the oak tip; I'll look for some shortly.