Author Topic: Doing a Brie, the Right Way?  (Read 15559 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Doing a Brie, the Right Way?
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:01:20 AM »
Okay I've done Camemberts and a Cambozola and neither of them ever got soft so I went back through my makes to see what might have gone wrong.  First thing I found was the extra cream I was using was ultra pasteurized.  The second thing I found was that I was adding Geotrichum per the recipe I found on the New England Cheese Making Site.  However, when I went through Tim Smith's book, he only has Camembert, and the 200 Easy Homemade Cheese book, for Brie, neither of them said to add this.  Not sure if Rikki is just trying to push product or if she really thinks this is necessary but I left it out this time around to find out if that was some of the problem.  I also used the SAM3 PC I recently purchased to see if I got better results with it. I made a 2 gallon recipe from the 200 Easy Homemade Cheese book for Brie.  I have 5 1/4" molds so it made up three cheeses.  Now we see if they fair any better then their predecessors. Here's what I have salted and out of the molds.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:21:23 AM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Doing a Brie, the Right way?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »
Now, with that said, here is a question for the pros out there, LB, Sailor, Alp, pay attention please.  This recipe said to cut the curd into 1" squares, which I did, and stir them gently.  I always thought, from all of the other things I've read, that you tried to keep the curd as large as possible to put into the mold.  Am I not getting something here? :-\  Seems every time I set out to make a cheese there are 10 different recipes and ways of doing things.  I usually try to combine the things that make sense from three different recipes to make a cheese but this is totally opposite.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:41:52 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Doing a Brie, the Right Way?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:25:31 AM »
I'm certainly not the expert you're hoping to show up but I can tell you that I've heard nit's important, according to some people, to use the Geo for more flavor nuances.  I think I read that at the www.cheeseconnection.net site.  That said, I started making Brie without it.  I don't actually stir the curds at all.....I just ladle them into the forms.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:38:14 AM »
That's what I've been doing Tiarella.  Largest curds I could ladle.  I also bought Geotrichum just for making Brie and Camembert and now find that it's, apparently, not used at all.  I have several different mesos that I can use for flavor nuances but it seems I always ended up with geo on the outside and little PC.  Bottom line is the Geo is out if this works without it.  BTW  I certainly appreciate your input and experience as I would that of anyone else.  Please, anyone feel free to comment.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:11:57 AM by Al Lewis »

mjr522

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:47:38 AM »
Check out this

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:53:11 AM »
Thanks for the link Mike.  Once I get one to actually soften like it should I can move on to more complex recipes with different nuances.  Right now I'm just a beginner trying to get one right. LOL :'(

mjr522

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:54:34 AM »
I hear you--did you see my recent experience?

My first cam was nasty--the geo took over and very little PC grew.  My wife also complained that it stunk really bad.  The second batch looked good, and softened after about 9 weeks.  The texture was great, but it didn't taste very good.  You just saw how my third started, but I'm still hopeful it will turn out.  I hope yours turns out well, too.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:00:51 AM »
Pretty sure too much geo was my problem too. 

george

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:38:42 AM »
Al, the 200 Easy recipe is what I use.  I usually don't bother with the geo either.  And I can tells ya that 19 batches down, it works just fine and produces a perfectly yummy cheese - as long as you don't do what I do half the time and forget to tend them at critical stages.   :o

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »
Thanks Mary.  I tend my cheeses twice a day, every day so that won't be a problem. ;D  Glad to hear someone else is using and liking this recipe though.  I used a straight meso this time but may try the Flora Danica next time if this works.  I understand it gives it a buttery flavor.

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
This recipe said to cut the curd into 1" squares, which I did, and stir them gently.  I always thought, from all of the other things I've read, that you tried to keep the curd as large as possible to put into the mold.  Am I not getting something here?
In classic cam made with meso culture, an issue sometimes is curd that is too wet and never drains fully. Stirring a little helps to mitigate this by drying up the curd.

If your cam never softens, of course, change it up to not stir, and cut to bigger size to increase moisture content.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:01 PM »
LB the ones that didn't soften were scooped out as large as I could.  This is the first time I ever cut the curds for a cam or brie.

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »
What was your milk like? And how good was the cover of mold? and what temp for affinage?  Too much cream, cams don't run. Too little remaining water, cams don't run. Too low of a temp, and they don't run. And a poor coating, they're not likely to run.

Have to balance everything. If they didn't run while scooping, curd size is not the issue.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:26:34 PM »
I believe the issue was too much cream and too much geo.  Temps were in line with the recipe 88F this time but 86F for the last recipes I believe.  Hopefully this recipe will give the desired results.  PC coverage was not what I would consider good on the last ones.  I changed to SAM3 on this one and will wait to see how good it works out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:22:44 AM by Al Lewis »

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 05:33:51 AM »
Temps were in line with the recipe
I meant during aging.

Too much geo.[/quote]
Possible, also possible what happened is not enough PC or not right conditions for PC.

PC coverage was not what I would consider good on the last ones
IMHO, don't fancy it up when you're just figuring it out. Use PC, work on the details and technique, and then play with the rind.