Author Topic: Doing a Brie, the Right Way?  (Read 15531 times)

drifterdon

Re: Doing a Brie, the Right Way?
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »
Al,
If this same recipe was to be made using fresh raw jersey milk with the cream, (I guess it is called cream line) do you think that the extra cream you added to the recipe would be needed?
Or, would it still be recommended?

They look great by the way.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »
I added it to make the cheese richer. 
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

bbracken677

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
My first cams were made with extra cream....one of the results was it took longer to ripen.  Hard to say exactly what the effect was in total because it was my first make and I think I caused some of my problems by lowering the ripening temp to around 42F which also contributed to the extended ripening period.

End result was some off flavor that I really cannot say exactly what caused it other than the longer ripening may have contributed to the issue.

Have had much better success since that first make, but then I havent given the extra cream another shot either....the thought of giving it another go has been in the back of mind for some time, but just havent gotten a round tuit   ::)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »
I haven't had that problem with the extra cream.  I find that these bloom quickly and age just fine in the cave.

seemunkee

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »
I noticed that the rind on yours does not look as fuzzy as what I am seeing on mine, and not sure if your comment on petting them was just a joke or if you do lightly wipe them. 
Should I be brushing/wiping them to knock down the fuzzyness?  If so what is the reasoning behind it?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 03:26:04 PM »
Hi Seemunkee, bloomy cheeses do need patting down.  Too luxuriant a growth of the PC causes slipskin and too rapid ripening directly under the rind.  Sometimes it seems hard to pat them down successfully but they will subside a bit if you keep patting every day or so. 

seemunkee

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2013, 03:27:43 PM »
Thanks, one more reason I had such a running batch the last time.  I will have to start treating my cheeses like little immobile pets and being more kind to them. 

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Thanks, one more reason I had such a running batch the last time.  I will have to start treating my cheeses like little immobile pets and being more kind to them.

I am not a good example of good cheese parenting.   :-\  I regularly forget to take care of mine.  Maybe because I have noisier things to take care of; goats, sheep, chickens, cats.  I have gotten better at cheese care......  The things I try to do are:

on bloomy cheeses I flip (or rotate if there's something on top and I can't flip them) so that they don't stick to the matting as the PC starts to grow.  I pat them down as much as I can on the every three day rotation of getting around to remembering I have cheese responsibilities.   :-[

on natural rind hard cheeses I use a bamboo scrub brush or surgeon's brush to brush the mold off the rinds when I remember and I prop open box lids according to how much moisture is collecting on the inside of the box and how moist I want it to be.  I also wipe out moisture on the boxes when I'm checking.  If a cheese gets too dry I wipe it down with salt brine  (sometimes with a bit of wine added) or oil it.  Even if it's dried out to the point of the rind cracking I have had good success at rescuing by using a brine wipe down and of course, keeping the box lid a bit more closed for a while.

on hard cheeses that I'm trying to keep pristine I've been getting into coconut oil after using olive oil for the first few months of my cheesemaking adventure.  The coconut oil is easy to put on and can be whatever liquidity that you want for ease of use just by choosing what temp you store it at.  I massage the cheese with coconut oil to put on a layer and then check it every few days and when/if any mold starts to grow I add some more coconut oil.  It seems like I only need to do it 2-3 times and then nothing grows on it.  If just a little something grows on it I massage it without adding any oil. 

Hope this helps......

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
I pet mine down every day and turn them at the same time.   :o