Author Topic: new member checking in  (Read 1428 times)

nogoer

new member checking in
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:00:31 PM »
Hi everyone, im a new member from CT USA. Recently back into cheese making after having played around with a few cheeses a couple years ago. I've made mozzarella a bunch of times, soft lactic cheeses, queso fresco, and tried cheddar twice. I've had successes but eventually just fell out of it because i prefer the hard pressed cheeses and i guess the aging times and fussing were too much at the time. I've even gone so far as to design and build my own press based on the wooden one at cheesemaking.com that i couldn't afford. Two weeks ago we had leftover milk and i still had all my cultures and ingredients so i said hey, what the heck and did a 1lb colby. It's now vac sealed and aging in my perfect temp basement at 55F.

I'm also an avid homebrewer and semi-part time winemaker, sausage maker, and bread baker. You know all the same things most of us on these forums like to dabble in  :D. Currently just removed my first attempt at caerphilly for what i hope will be my go to cheese. I'll post about it in the appropriate forum.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: new member checking in
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
Have fun nogoer, welcome to the forum ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: new member checking in
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum Nogoer. I am sure we will enjoy your company.  ;D