Author Topic: Oyster mushroom from coffee grounds  (Read 9635 times)

sofusryge

Re: Oyster mushroom from coffee grounds
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 07:31:09 AM »
Tomer: They are kept in my bedroom cupboard. Dark and about 20 Celsius. As i understand, they need dark and warm conditions while colonizing the coffee grounds.

Shotski: the round thingy you see on the picture is a filter patch. It allows for air exchange without risking contamination by airborne spores.

shotski

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »
where did you purchase the spores and were they expensive?

sofusryge

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
Shotski: You don't buy spores, you buy mycelium. Mycelium is the stringy underground part of the mushroom. I got mine from "Skyttegårdens Østershatte" a danish company producing oyster mushrooms. I paid something like 15 dollars for half a pound. Rather expensive, but it's possible to keep it going for quite some time, taking a bit of mycelium from one fully outgrown bag and use it to inoculate a new bag.

In the states, you could buy the mycelium from Fungi Perfecti, that is Paul Stamets company. He's quite the expert when it comes to mushrooms.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 03:00:53 AM »
Shotski: You don't buy spores, you buy mycelium. Mycelium is the stringy underground part of the mushroom. I got mine from "Skyttegårdens Østershatte" a danish company producing oyster mushrooms. I paid something like 15 dollars for half a pound. Rather expensive, but it's possible to keep it going for quite some time, taking a bit of mycelium from one fully outgrown bag and use it to inoculate a new bag.

In the states, you could buy the mycelium from Fungi Perfecti, that is Paul Stamets company. He's quite the expert when it comes to mushrooms.

There's a wicked cool place in the Midwest US somewhere that has a huge selection od mushroom spawn also.  Something like Forest and Field?  Can't find my catalog at the moment.  I think it's in Wisconsin maybe? 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 04:35:32 AM »
Just jumping into this conversation but, it seems to me that if you built a large box without a bottom and planted your spores outside with the box over them,  I mean, wouldn't they grow great?  Mind you the temps here are pretty conducive to mushroom growth.  We get all of the good ones.  Well Chantrells anyway.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

sofusryge

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
Al: It's perfectly possible to grow oyster mushrooms outside, they're happily growing on lots of tree stumps in Denmark. Two things though:

1. It's hard to control the growth and the time of fruiting when growing outside
2. it's impossible to control contaminants, which means that a lot of other mushrooms will act like competitors to the oysters.

If growing outside, it will probably be a better option to inoculated a tree stump or a bale of straw, than using coffee grounds.

shotski

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 02:17:34 AM »
Hey sofusryge, anything visible yet?