Author Topic: Oyster mushroom from coffee grounds  (Read 2169 times)

Offline sofusryge

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Bees, chickens, gardening, brewing, cheesing
    • Fremstillet i Forstaden
Re: Oyster mushroom from coffee grounds
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:09 AM »
Tomer: They are kept in my bedroom cupboard. Dark and about 20 Celsius. As i understand, they need dark and warm conditions while colonizing the coffee grounds.

Shotski: the round thingy you see on the picture is a filter patch. It allows for air exchange without risking contamination by airborne spores.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline shotski

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 05:20:38 AM »
where did you purchase the spores and were they expensive?

Offline sofusryge

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »
Shotski: You don't buy spores, you buy mycelium. Mycelium is the stringy underground part of the mushroom. I got mine from "Skyttegårdens Østershatte" a danish company producing oyster mushrooms. I paid something like 15 dollars for half a pound. Rather expensive, but it's possible to keep it going for quite some time, taking a bit of mycelium from one fully outgrown bag and use it to inoculate a new bag.

In the states, you could buy the mycelium from Fungi Perfecti, that is Paul Stamets company. He's quite the expert when it comes to mushrooms.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 71
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
Shotski: You don't buy spores, you buy mycelium. Mycelium is the stringy underground part of the mushroom. I got mine from "Skyttegårdens Østershatte" a danish company producing oyster mushrooms. I paid something like 15 dollars for half a pound. Rather expensive, but it's possible to keep it going for quite some time, taking a bit of mycelium from one fully outgrown bag and use it to inoculate a new bag.

In the states, you could buy the mycelium from Fungi Perfecti, that is Paul Stamets company. He's quite the expert when it comes to mushrooms.

There's a wicked cool place in the Midwest US somewhere that has a huge selection od mushroom spawn also.  Something like Forest and Field?  Can't find my catalog at the moment.  I think it's in Wisconsin maybe? 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 38
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 10:35:32 PM »
Just jumping into this conversation but, it seems to me that if you built a large box without a bottom and planted your spores outside with the box over them,  I mean, wouldn't they grow great?  Mind you the temps here are pretty conducive to mushroom growth.  We get all of the good ones.  Well Chantrells anyway.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline sofusryge

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 03:38:06 AM »
Al: It's perfectly possible to grow oyster mushrooms outside, they're happily growing on lots of tree stumps in Denmark. Two things though:

1. It's hard to control the growth and the time of fruiting when growing outside
2. it's impossible to control contaminants, which means that a lot of other mushrooms will act like competitors to the oysters.

If growing outside, it will probably be a better option to inoculated a tree stump or a bale of straw, than using coffee grounds.

Offline shotski

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »
Hey sofusryge, anything visible yet?