Author Topic: Cheese festival, Bra, Italy, September 2013. Anyone going?  (Read 3751 times)

Shazah

Cheese festival, Bra, Italy, September 2013. Anyone going?
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:22:36 AM »
I would so love to attend this event but have been unsuccessful in finding any references to any tour parties going there.

I don't know the country well enough to drive around myself, and I don't speak the language either so a guided tour would be the only way I'd attempt to go.

We're having our own Cheese festival here in Auckland in February so I may have to settle for that and a look at others pics at Bra  ???

I'm interested to know if anyone from the forum is thinking of going.

Cheers
Sharon

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Cheese festival, Bra, Italy, September 2013. Anyone going?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »
Many Italians speak English, especially the tour guides, so getting around is not a problem. There are many all-inclusive tours, but I would try to find a small local, independent guide. Local Business Bureaus can help. Here's a start.

Bra Tourism

Slow Foods is headquartered in Italy. I'm sure they can help.

Slow Foods

Agritourismo is really popular in Italy. You can stay, eat, and sometimes even work on farms. Pretty cool and sometimes cheaper than hotels. They can always hook you up with local guides.

Agritourismo near Bra

Shazah

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »
Thanks Sailor, I will check out those options.

Offline JayW

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
    • cheesemaking.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
Hi there .. I have been to just about every "Cheese" event in Bra except the first one. Don't be afraid to just go because you can fly into Torino and take a train right to the show (the train stops right in the Piazza Roam where the show begins).
Do not be afraid of not knowing the language either because most people speak english or someone will help you. Be prepared for an over the top cheese (and wine) experience. Waiting much longer will be a problem getting a room though. I booked mine last Sept for this years event.
The tours I have seen are super expensive and scaled for the $$$.
If you have the time and a car you are also right in the middle of some of the best wine country in the world.
The big attraction for me are the tasting workshops with some of the best in the world (and the wine).
Jim Wallace .. the "Tech Guy" at www.cheesemaking.com
                    ...... current workshops are online and filling up quickly now! http://www.cheesemaking.com/JimW.html

Shazah

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »
Thanks Jim

I will check out some self drive/train options.  It's great to get the closest airport and train info as it makes accomodation options outside of Bra a little easier for me to consider.

We had our own, much smaller Cheesefest here in Auckland last week and I was completely cheesed out after an hour so I'd have to pace myself a little better for Bra.

You've given me inspiration to organise a trip, if not this year, for the next event, and without the need for a guided tour.

Cheers
Sharon