Cheese # 40: Caerphilly # 6 Make results!
I am very happy with how this cheese turned out. I tended it for about 2 weeks, then bagged it up to wait until today at almost 7 weeks! Texture was very creamy and pleasantly soft, yet able to be sliced. Not crumbly or dry at all, with a nice mouth feel. It was a great contrast to a lovely long aged thermophillic cheese that someone else brought to our event today. Flavor was nicely salty with a little tang. Though I mentioned below that I might try it with a different culture, I am now not sure I want to! Scroll down for the image!
This cheese make was fairly on target, and almost comfortable for me. Recent reading in the Caldwell book was helpful for learning more about what a clean break looks like, and how whey pH is different from curd pH, and how to check for curd readiness. I also figured out that on recent makes I was having too fast a flocculation time due to a faulty measurement with my syringe (not accounting for the rennet in the needle). Just as last make, the weight is more than usual from 2 gallons, so there is more retained moisture, but the last time I made the cheese the flavor and texture was very good. Next time I make this cheese I think I will try with a different starter (4001) to see if the pH reacts differently. Learning the cause and effect is difficult due to the waiting, and due to never having 2 cheeses side by side to evaluate since my makes are too far apart.
2 gallons non-homogenized pasteurized whole milk (cream top from Trader Joe's) 6.7 pH
¼ tsp Flora Danica
¼ tsp calcium chloride in ¼ cup water
1.7 ml Mad Millie's calf rennet in ¼ cup water
2 T salt
Flocculation multiplier 3.5
pH targets: 6.5 rennet, 6.4 drain, 6.1 milling
11:00 Began heating milk over very low direct heat with diffuser in heavy bottom pan.
11:35 Temperature at 86 degrees. Culture sprinkled on, resting 5 mins, then stirred several minutes, covered, with 60 mins resting at temperature. (pH 6.5, T = 88)
12:50 Calcium chloride stirred in, then rennet.
Flocculation time of 13 mins. (3.5 x 13 = about 45 mins) Clean break at about 47 mins.
1:40 Curd cut to about 1/2 inch, resting 10 mins, then gently lifted to break larger pieces which were not adequately cut. (pH 6.5, T = 82)
Target of 15 mins to bring to temperature of 90 degrees, started timing after raised back at 86 degrees.
2:10 At 90 degree temperature… pH 6.5. Recipe indicates stirring at temperature for 40 mins.
2:50 Stirred continuously for the 40 mins. pH 6.3 and curd gently squeaky. I tried the Caldwell test for curd readiness and the curd did not fall from my downturned hand, so ready enough!
3:00 Drained into cheesecloth bag, resting for about 10 mins.
3:15 Cut into 1 inch slices, turned, rested 10 mins and repeated 3 more times, while keeping warm, whey pH measured at 6.3 after almost one hour.
4:10 Curd was milled, and salt added.
4:20 Into form, with follower, and 10 # in pan so keeping warm (temp in pot measured at 74 degrees), for 20 mins.
4:45 Into press, with about 1.5 PSI (2 # on my Sturdy Press) for 30 mins
5:20 Redressed, sprinkled with salt, and back into press about 2 PSI (3 # on press) for 60 mins, pH 6.0
6:30 Redressed, sprinkling with salt and into press about 3 PSI (5 # on press) for 1 hour, pH 5.8
7:45 Redressed, adding weight to make close to 5 PSI (8 #) for a couple of hours. Almost no more whey coming off at that time
11:00 “Undressed” and back into the form for overnight rest and to smooth the rind, small bit of whey tested at pH 5.5, weight 2# 4oz (exact same as last time!)
7:00am On the counter to dry for a day, then it will go into the cave.