Author Topic: Cheese breaks and crumbles  (Read 982 times)

Vlad_ts

Cheese breaks and crumbles
« on: January 14, 2021, 09:04:00 AM »
Hello colleagues! Why are my cheeses (Tomm, Gouda, Carfile) brittle and crumbly after ripening? Ph is normal according to the recipe. Thanks.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Cheese breaks and crumbles
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 10:04:19 AM »
Usually that's a pH problem, but it depends on when you measured it.  One very common problem I've seen is that people tend to over press their cheeses.  This stops it from draining properly.  Excess lactose gets trapped in the middle.  Since it takes time for the salt to penetrate into the cheese, the starter cultures just keep acidifying the center of the cheese.  A good way to tell if this is the problem is if the outside rind has good texture and then about 1 or 2 cm in it goes crumbly.  It may also be a bit damp on the inside, or have some holes.

Vlad_ts

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 10:11:23 AM »
Usually that's a pH problem, but it depends on when you measured it.  One very common problem I've seen is that people tend to over press their cheeses.  This stops it from draining properly.  Excess lactose gets trapped in the middle.  Since it takes time for the salt to penetrate into the cheese, the starter cultures just keep acidifying the center of the cheese.  A good way to tell if this is the problem is if the outside rind has good texture and then about 1 or 2 cm in it goes crumbly.  It may also be a bit damp on the inside, or have some holes.
Thank you friend! I'll pay attention to pressing.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 03:57:13 PM »
How are you aging it? I agree pH is the likely issue, but home cheesemakers who make small wheels aged in relatively dry conditions will also end up with dry brittle cheeses. 

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »
I have the same problem in many of my cheeses - over acidifying, that is - and am constantly battling it. Have not found a good solution yet. I am paying attention to pH levels and pressing, etc.

The one consistent success I've had (so far) has been to press initially in the whey. However, I know I must be doing something wrong as everyone else is getting it right. So... I read here every day and hope to find a clue to what I am doing wrong ... eventually...

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:43:30 PM »
MacGruff, we could help troubleshoot if you start a new thread and post some details. If you've already done so I apologize - please post the link!

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 02:28:48 PM »
Sure. Will do so after I gather some data.

Thanks for the offer.

Vlad_ts

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 07:34:54 AM »
Cheese ripens in the chamber. Temperature 12C, humidity 80-82%. Now I will pay attention to pressing and draining of whey.