Not so long ago, Tiarella
voiced a desire to have a forum subject or thread where pics could be gathered in one place. This probably is not what she was looking for, but I felt it might be helpful to have a Thread of Shame
where dirty cheese laundry could be hung up for all to see and hopefully benefit from.
I offer these painful lessons in my cheesemaking efforts:
- Pressing too hard, long, and warm with Kadova moulds produces this problem.
- Not properly initiating and controlling rind protection may produce this in a washed-rind.
- Not paying attention while pressing with a stack of weights may produce this artistic diversion.
- If the form factor of your cheese is too thin or your rind development is too aggressive or your floc factor is too high, then maybe you'll have a melty washed-rind like this.
- Just trying an experiment in liqueur-washed rinds and the wrong recipe model (Esrom; form factor is thinner) with too little objective direction may produce this.
- Experimenting with acidic fruit in a cheese make may totally destroy your dreams of blueberries & cream...twice!!!
Yes, there are others, but they are early failures so they are granted Beginner's Lack of Luck & Experience
If anyone else has a need to come clean and air their errors
, feel free to sign up here. If you do, it would be helpful to highlight appropriate pics or threads and include a brief
description of what you think went wrong.