Author Topic: Failures I have known  (Read 39553 times)

rosawoodsii

Re: Failures I have known
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 09:41:19 PM »
That's when you name it by a brand new name, tell everyone it's a cheese you developed on your own, and hope you can duplicate it. ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2013, 01:20:44 AM »
That's when you name it by a brand new name, tell everyone it's a cheese you developed on your own, and hope you can duplicate it. ;D
Hey, Bob...what she said.... ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline kdttocs

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
Love this thread.

Here are a couple from my first Camembert make. Fortunately I improved my process on both fronts over the next few batches and the latest Cam turned out great!

Dibbs

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »
That's not a failure.  It's like Torta Cañarejal but not quite the right shape.  Just make it a bit taller and narrower then slice the top off and use it as a dip.  I'd imagined it would be difficult to get it runny inside but with the rind holding up like that.  Lovely stuff.

Dibbs

Offline kdttocs

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
here's one

http://aforkfulofspaghetti.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/ewe-must-try-this-runny-cheese-fun-with.html

WoW! That's a great idea for my next p/c *fail*. As Cams usually come in pairs the 2nd can be eaten this way after seeing what happens to the first.

My only thing is the liquid at cool/room temp was a little off putting. Maybe if I warmed it up a bit first. Thanks!

akhoneybee

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 05:53:37 PM »
I reproduce the camembert exactly like ktddocs, it's like we were side by side!!  Hah, look at my crottin ladies post.  I guess I should go back to the cam's and master those first!

Marta

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »
Oh, too bad I don't have pictures of my Fontina with the multi colored mold.  Or how about the cheddar where I used too little salt and had to get up at midnight to break the block apart and resalt ... the resulting rind looked like a Mayan ruin (but the cheese good).  Then there is the storied day my housemate decided to make tea ... on the stove ... where my cheddar vat was floccing.  What happens next...? Why isn't the kettle whistling?  I hear a piteous cry from the kitchen when she realized she had turned on the wrong burner.  By the time I got there the vat was actually steaming.  So I put it the curds in the press right then, and we enjoyed really good paneer for ... days ...

Ah.  Confession.  Good for the soul.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Why isn't the kettle whistling?
Or the kettle's spout whistle was not engaged and my poor wife adhered another kettle to the electric burner element while she was distracted elsewhere.... :o ::)

Marta, would you please add your location to your profile? Thanks, ever so.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Marta

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »
Sorry, friends.  Michigan, USA: land of milk and more milk, where you can sometimes get contraband raw milk!

tnbquilt

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
Morning! Fresh out of the press. My latest Brew Curd Cheese. I pressed it naked, that's why the little nubs. Obviously the arm on the press did something after I walked away from it. I will cut it up before I serve it, it will still be good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
Ah, Tammy, a true artisan beauty! :D

Thanks for sharing. We commiserate with you. :(

It will most likely taste marvelous.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
Morning! Fresh out of the press. My latest Brew Curd Cheese. I pressed it naked, that's why the little nubs. Obviously the arm on the press did something after I walked away from it. I will cut it up before I serve it, it will still be good.

That is incredibly sculptural!  Kind of surreal.  it would make a great centerpiece with some action figures on it!!   ;D

leboy001

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »
I made a cheese (think a Maasdam) a while back. It was a large cheese i think using about 20l (over 5 gal). I went to bed with it in the press overnight. The next day i woke up very very sick so decided to err on the side of caution and assume that i had in fact made a cheese shaped germ colony.

It was a tough decision to throw it away :'(

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
At varying times I may have a head cold or something similar that I don't want to share with my cheeses. At those times, I will wear a throwaway surgical mask to limit my exposure to a cheese I may be turning, washing, rubbing, brushing, etc. I also typically wear blue nitrile gloves when dealing with my cheeses, regardless whether I'm sick. So far it has been a good policy, but then I wasn't deathly ill either.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!