Author Topic: My second try at Raclette and wild mold  (Read 8290 times)

AndreasMergner

Re: My second try at Raclette and wild mold
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
I took another core sample of this and it is actually not bad...not Raclette by any means, but not bad.  It tastes similar to my Caerphilly, actually, but less bitter.  It is still too dry for Raclette.  The reason I took it out today was I noticed a small amount of fluid in the vac bag and after my Vacherin disaster I decided I'd take it out and dry it up a bit.  The rind actually looks quite good and intact.   I wonder if I could do a washed rind with it now at this point (after some drying) or is that just plain stupid??  I mean, what do I have to lose?

Well, let me know your opinion.  :)

AndreasMergner

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
On second look, the rind is still cracked a bit so back in the vac bag it goes after drying!  :) :)

AndreasMergner

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 07:50:11 PM »
I took another core sample today (I noticed a bit of liquid in the vac bag again) and it tasted really good!  I decided to cut it up, take a section out and then vac bag the rest to put back in the fridge.

It has a cheddar like taste and consistency when you first put it in your mouth and then (maybe as it warms up?) finishes with a Gouda feel.  It melts great too.  Maybe I'll make myself a grilled cheese/tomato/onion sandwich right now.  Yum. 

So, I guess this cheese was a success even if it is not even close to a Raclette!

bbracken677

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
Merry accidents do happen! 

I have a muenster/cheddar as a result of neglect  lol   As long as it tastes good and you survived to try again!