Author Topic: best wrapping for cut cheese  (Read 6865 times)

Little Creek Cheese

best wrapping for cut cheese
« on: January 30, 2013, 04:11:47 AM »
G'day, are there any suggestions on what is the best wrapping to wrap cut cheeses? we are looking at selling a lot of types of cheese, cow / sheep and goat, very hard ( eg parmasians aurochino etc ) hard ( cheddar, gouda etc), blue ( stilton roqueforte etc) soft ( brie chevre etc ) and fresh, do we need different types plastic, paper waxed paper, can anyone suggest decent suppliers in Australia. We are a small factory and shop , but we are looking at being a large shop.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: best wrapping for cut cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:29:09 AM »
Good luck on your search.  I'm new to this whole thing and cheese wrapping paper has become one of the big mysteries for me.  I bought some sheets from a site but there has to be a cheaper, better way.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Little Creek Cheese

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:22:08 AM »
I have paper backed aluminium looking foil faced microperforated wrap for our camemberts, but that is for manufacturing, I know Agape can supply some, but they cannot ( or do not ) supply knowledge, and can't say which one is best it always comes down to "personal preference". Good luck to you as well Al Lewis are you looking for personal or commercial?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:26:38 AM »
Just personal use but I have a restaurant supply store near me that has all kinds of wrapping papers and foils but none are for cheeses.  I know they wrap blues in thin foil but I have no idea why.  I had one person tell me that cooking parchment worked well but I haven't tried it.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:14 AM »
Little Creek,  Have you tried doing a search on papers and wrapping or various other phrases on this site and the Internet?  Might find some info there.  You could always send a private message to forum member iratherfly and ask him if he knows of a comprehensive source of info he can point you to.  he sells papers and all cheese supplies but is in US so wouldn't likely ship large quantities to you but maybe he'd be willing to share his wholesale sources with you to help you source it for your business over there.  he's very helpful although he is busy with new family and getting his website ready these days.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »
Forum member iratherfly has knowledge about cheese wrapping paper and has done his best to convert me from what I was using. Here is part of a PM from him back in July 2012:

"...so about a week or two ago we discussed in one of the Reblochon threads the use of Expaco wrapping paper vs. Formaticum.  Frankly, the BEST results I have had with washed rind cheese were with this super high-tech crystal paper. It's made of a layer of translucent micro-perforated polypropylene that is attached to a layer of crystaline microcellulose paper. It ia made for washed rind, mixed rind, bloomy rind and natural rind. Unlike those typical white shiny Camembert papers which are made to be used inside a wood or cardboard box, the Crystal paper is made to be the actual retail package of the cheese, so for most home made situations this will far out preform the regular wrap.  It is also semi-transparent so you can see the cheese color showing though it. Really nice stuff.  (See the photo of the "Reblotin" that I posted on the Reblochon thread). "

I have used the papers discussed above and they were pretty effective in preserving the Reblochons I made at that time.

I understand he is busy right now, but PM him. He is trying to get his website off the ground and wants business. From past history, he is willing to ship internationally.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Little Creek Cheese

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:29:59 AM »
thanks Tiarella, thanks Boofer,
Looks like some light reading in my spare time, I guess I'm trying to get experienced over night, sorry about the delayed response, I'll PM him soon

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:17:05 AM »
I sell cheese and for fresh Chevre, Crottins, and hard cheeses I use deli plastic wrap. It comes in very large rolls and clings nicely. Not expensive.
My label seals the plastic wrap on the top.
I just got an order from Iratherfly of Camembert wrapping paper and it looks real nice.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:22:23 AM »
I would also recommend a vacuum sealer for semi-hard and hard cheeses. Here's one I just opened and the vacuum seal works very well.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
My hard cheeses are vac sealed to age instead of wax  but here in NY you can not sell them in the vac seal bag unless it is a commercial one and that means BIG bucks.

Little Creek Cheese

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »
thanks steffb503, and again boofer,
the vacuumn sealer is a bit cumbersome for selling cut to order cheese, the deli wrap concept has merit, in fact we currently use one and heat seal the wrap for cut cheddars as well as waterproofing our haloumi packs, we have been given a sample of some special waxed paper, which is supposed to be good for all cut to order cheese, so we are going to trial that, thanks for all the input,