Author Topic: Inferior Reblochon  (Read 5293 times)

AndreasMergner

Inferior Reblochon
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »
Just had to put that in the title because I followed iratherfly's Reblochon recipe to the "T" except:

I used 4 gals P/H milk (not recommended) plus a pint of half/half.
I didn't have any of those crazy cultures, so I used: MA11, b linens, geo, yogurt whey (for the thermo), and at the time of renneting, I added a package of creme fraiche (contains rennet plus aroma cultures).
I thought I'd be smart and try putting the mold in a pot for a water bath.  Oops, I guess I didn't figure that the bottom of the mold was touching the pot and it got too hot. 
I also did a 3.5 floc multiplier because all my makes seem to be too dry other than the Cams I made the day before.

I did end up meeting all of the floc (12 min), temp and pH markers pretty much perfectly except the pH on one side of the cheese was different.  I'm assuming it was because one side got hotter in the pot incident than the other.  I evened the sides out a bit by salting the low pH side about 4 hours earlier than the other side.  That's the best I could do.   ::)

I ended up with something that looks pretty good to me.  It is a bit soft and since it is a 5.5 lb cheese at demolding I have to be careful moving it around and flipping it.  It has lost a bit of water since then and I haven't weighed it since.  I assume it is going to get softer which worries me a bit.  Maybe I should have stuck to the 2.5 floc multiplier or made smaller wheels?  I guess I will find out.

I hope I have learned enough about rind washing to not screw this one up!  It is now "yeasting" at 62 degrees.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Inferior Reblochon
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:58:03 AM »
Wow, that's not a Reblochon! I'd say you've made a 5.5 pound Tomme, of sorts.

The form factor is way out there from a Reb. I'm sure it will be a very tasty cheese, but I don't see it developing the creamy, oozy goodness that marks a Reb.

Hey, Andreas, look at it this way.... You're covered in either case, good cheese or goofed cheese, because of my new thread. ;) Ain't it grand?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AndreasMergner

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:39:33 AM »
iratherfly's Reblochon guide says 2.5" high by 5.5" diameter.  I think this is 8" diameter and somewhere between 2.5 and 3" in thickness/height.  I know the diameter is a bit larger, but the thickness is pretty close.  My other harder, drier cheeses were about 2" high for the same amount of milk (without the half/half) so I was quite surprised when it seemed like I had something like 5" of height in the mold before I pressed it.  I was saying "what have I made??!?"

...but I know nothing about Reblochon except what I read in the first few posts.  I didn't even read the whole thread!  I'm going to Reblochon Hell in a handbasket.  >:D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
Maybe if it flattens more you could be making something close to a Brie. :)

Then, with proper rind development, who knows?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AndreasMergner

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »
I still haven't measured it with a ruler, but by eyeball it looks closer to 2" now.

I think you are right Boofer. Maybe a Brieblochon??

AndreasMergner

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:56:53 PM »
Rebrielochon??

I have Geo slime on the sides of the cheese so I know something is happening.  Now I have to check the recipe to find out when to start the wash.  The cheese is still draining a little every time I flip it...which is twice a day right now.  It pretty much looks the same now, but I can tell it is a little smaller because the height is less and the sides aren't touching  the sides of the container anymore.  I assume it is from the water loss.  I'm sure the weight is closer to 4.5 lbs now.

AndreasMergner

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
Geo is coming along.  I'm not sure if I should start washing it now or tomorrow.  Recipe says to wait until Geo starts to bloom steadily, usually on day 4.  I'm on day 5 now.  I'm kind of thinking now would be best.  Will slip skin occur from the Geo?  If I have very slight soft blistery parts, is that what is happening? You can see them on the side facing the camera.  They are very slight.  Should I be worried about that?  ...and thus start washing/promoting b linens?

Back 2 The Frotture

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »
this cheese isnt a reblochon, so you dont have to follow the recipe anymore.  Determine which way you will be aging it, after ten days you will be able to have a better idea.

Brie

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:34:02 AM »
I've made several Rebos and they all start with the Geo--I would suggest starting the brine wash now--they are not lost. Let them out of the cave every other day and rub with the brine. Leave them out of the cave to allow air to circulate for about a half hour each time and let's just see what develops--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, and have a great Reblochon! Keep us posted, I am making one as we speak..................

AndreasMergner

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
BTtF: I know it is not exactly a Reblochon, but I'll be following the recipe as best I can. I figure if so many are making them, they have to be pretty good. Plus, they are not readily available.

Brie: I actually did as you said. That evening I thought, "I bet my geo is developed enough.". I washed it and put it in the 52 degree cave. I have taken it out for 30 mins or so each day also. I checked the recipe and it says to wash one half every other day. I have done one side each day. I'll do the second side for the second time today and then go every other day. I also did realize it had cold storage in the fridge to finish. I'm going to have to find room in there for this 4 lb Reb and 4 lbs of Cam.

I also don't know what I'll wrap it in. I had a few for the Cams, but not for this one.

AndreasMergner

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
This is how it looks today. The geo is now linenized, although there are a few spots where I think the mat might have scrubbed it off. The sides are slightly soft.

KTownCheese

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:09:55 PM »
Great posts so far.  I love to see the progress your cheese is making in your pics! :)

AndreasMergner

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »
Thanks KTown!  I'm not sure where I went wrong, but here is my cheese at 48 days.  It has been leaking a lot of liquidy cheese and the only the outer portion of the cheese is soft.  I lowered the temp of the cave to 45 degrees and that didn't do anything.  I didn't want to deal with it, so I neglected it.

I cut into it and the center hasn't ripened at all!  I tasted the cheese and it is ok.  It is very mild, but with a combination of soft creamy paste 1/4" from the rind and then crumbly paste for the rest of it.  I didn't wait for the cheese to get to room temp for the pics so it may soften up a little.

So...this is a bit discouraging.  I don't know what to do with it.  I can put it back in the cave, but I'll have to clean the 1/4 lb of liquid cheese out of the container...and it will likely leak more.  I can use it for cooking, but not sure what...mac and cheese?  Suggestions?

If you have any ideas of what I can do differently next time, that would be great.   :-\

stratocasterdave

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »
Hi!  Never made this type of cheese.  Maybe wrap it in a permeable wrapper, like what we use with cams and bries and let it sit for longer.  See what happens??

AndreasMergner

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »
I certainly can do that.  What temp?  In the fridge?  Should I cut it first or just put the wedge back in?  I'm a little concerned because the bottom of the container has lots of liquid cheese.  I don't want to make a bag of liquid!